Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a new race  (Read 1001 times)

rainpeltstar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:geniosity]
    • View Profile
Making a new race
« on: December 17, 2012, 05:17:39 pm »

So I've been trying to make a new race playable both in adventure mode and fortress mode, and it seems to work smoothly as an adventurer but I can't get it to work as a fortress. When I'm on the choosing-location part, I'm not quite sure how to choose the civilization/race.
Loves lapis lazuli, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cheese puffs. She absolutely detests heights.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a new race
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 05:22:14 pm »

I think you can only have one race with [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag, if that's any help.
You might want to move this thread to the modding subforum, the people there will probably be more helpful.

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 08:01:39 pm »

You can actually have more than one [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] race, but it is difficult to figure out which race is which from the embark list.

Depending on how you created your race, you may be able to tell which race is which by looking at the icon on the embark map. As you scroll through the available civilizations, the area currently controlled by that civ will show on the map. If you used a custom symbol (the dwarven civ uses the same icon as the statues, for instance), you should be able to tell which is which.

I usually copy-paste a lot of values from various civs, so that doesn't work for me unless I think about it beforehand. The workaround I have for this is to go into legends mode first, and look through all the civilizations. I take note of the names of all the controllable ones (easier if you set starting worldgen civilizations to some low number, like 10 or 15). Then embark, and choose the civ of the race you want.
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:50:44 am »

The quick and dirty solution is to copy dwarves word for word and change all the values and tags you understand and want changed, but leave the ones you don't understand alone. Fire it up, see if it works, fix any "it's too dwarfy" problems that sprang up and try again.

This way you'll be sure to have all the things that make them work properly as a playable civilization, but everything you recognize will have been changed and everything that stayed the same won't be noticeable.

rainpeltstar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:geniosity]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 07:54:18 pm »

Ok I got it working, but even though they have [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] they are still complaining of hunger and thirst?
Loves lapis lazuli, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cheese puffs. She absolutely detests heights.