Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kaiju Combat on Kickstarter--definitely needs some love  (Read 553 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Kaiju Combat on Kickstarter--definitely needs some love
« on: December 14, 2012, 02:55:42 am »

Hey, so I'm gonna put this as simply as I can: GODZILLA IS THE SHIT.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For nearly a century now, giant movie monsters--or kaiju as they're often called--have been thrilling audiences worldwide. The most famous, naturally, is the lean green killin' machine up there, my childhood idol and King of the Monsters: Godzilla. If you had a childhood, you watched at least one Godzilla movie. And if you watched one, you know how awesome this dude is. Maybe you've even seen some of the more obscure ones, like the Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, or Anguirus. All that matters is, you know what a kaiju is and you know they kick ass. But maybe you ask, "CJ, you handsome devil, what does this have to do with video games?"

Well, back in the early 2000's there was a trio of Godzilla fighting games released. You may have your own opinions on them, but I found them to be a lot of fun. Well, one of the guys from the team that developed those games has started his own project, as a sort of spiritual successor to those games:

KAIJU COMBAT

There's not a whole lot more I can say that the page doesn't already explain. They've got some pretty big-name talent (in the world of kaiju anyway) working on it, and one of the most interesting things to me is how involved the fanbase is with this design process. Basically anybody who donates basically becomes a part of the dev team, and contributes opinions and votes on decisions on aspects of the game. There's only a week left in funding, and at the rate they're going I think they'll make it, but I though I'd spread the word where I can that this is something that I, for one, would seriously like to see made, and maybe after checking it out, you'll agree and drop a few bucks.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju Combat on Kickstarter--definitely needs some love
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 03:02:38 am »

While the project itself doesn't interest me

I am ALL for this kind of project. A fighting game that keeps adding into itself with the possibility of crossovers galor.

I've only seen that done with Cardgames (Specifically EXACTLY ONE card game...)

It is definately something I'd love to see get off the ground. Even if it is likely I'll never grab myself a copy (Mind you if I got the ability to make a monster for this game. I totally would! even if I don't QUITE have an idea of what I'd make)

Heck this could have been a project that was trying to make an ordinary fighting game that worked like this and I would have been all for it. Mugen done legit.

---

I am starting to notice... The popularity of a project is related to how much I criticise and slam it. Since I was nothing BUT possitive, this thread was doomed to be unpopular.

I'll remember that next time.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:05:36 pm by Neonivek »