Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better Bandit Camps  (Read 1161 times)

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better Bandit Camps
« on: December 08, 2012, 10:16:20 pm »

Not sure if this is planned, but a simple search of this thread's title hardly came up with any results, and none of them were really my idea. As of now, most bandit camps are more or less the same; there's a bunch of guys standing around campfires in the middle of the wilderness like hobos, and items are strewn all over the place. Needless to say, it's kind of stupid.

What I would really like would be to have small and medium sized bandit gangs move into caves and ruins and use them as their base of operation, sort of like in Skyrim. Particularly large, bold, and well equipped gangs could go so far as to capture occupied castles and towns.

I could also see bandits building forts of their own. It would start as just a palisade and maybe some trenches surrounding a few crude wooden structures, but the fort could slowly expand. It would make sense for the bandits to have a bunker for their leader, a few watchtowers, sleeping quarters, a small dining hall, some cells to hold whoever they take hostage, and maybe a fight pit. Perhqps there could be a small forge and an armory, but as the bandits would get most of the things they need from raiding there probably wouldn't need to be much more than basic infrastructure and a few workshops.

By the time the whole area has been pillaged, the fortress is a respectable hold, and the bandits have enough people, the camp could turn into a town and the gang into a civilization. The civilization would likely start hostile with everyone else, since they'd have a bad history, be warlike, and have very little ethics seeing as the entire populace is just a bunch of renegades and murderers.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:03:03 pm by Carp McDwarfEater »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Better Bandit Camps
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 02:47:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is coming eventually. Even the weakest bandits should at least have a cave or a few tents.
It would be awesome if bandits took over a player made fort.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 03:51:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is coming eventually. Even the weakest bandits should at least have a cave or a few tents.

I would like it if we saw "gangs" and "bandits", with "bandits" more or less just "gangs" that have been declared a enemy of a civ. That way, we could have inter-city "gangs" that claim chunks of it for themselves, and if they attack you a typical person is not going to help or hinder you.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:07:58 pm »

Well, I'd imagine that tiny bands of just three or four bandits would just be like highwaymen, traveling up and down roads and holding up people. I could see them just having a campfire and sleeping on the ground like bandits currently do, but any large group should have more of a shelter.

And yeah, it'd be great to reclaim a fort a few years after you lost it, only to find that some bandits or kobolds have occupied it.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 12:05:49 am »

I imagine that small bandit groups (1-6) would have a single building of some kind, like a large tent, and just an item dump with a fire.

Larger groups (up to 12) would have a more permanent building such as a hut, along with a couple tents, and some chests or other containers

Massive groups would have large houses like regular people, along with tents containing chests with stuff, and fires, as an "outside" area, or have taken over a city.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.