Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven hair yarn?  (Read 1108 times)

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
Dwarven hair yarn?
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:23:47 pm »

When you think of dwarves what is among the first things that come to your minds?
The answer is beards.

My question is how to make sheared dwarven hair spinnable.
I have no problem making my dwarves forcibly drag eachother to the farmer's workshop and shave their comrades bald and beardless but I don't seem to be able to make them actually spin the produced hair even after adding the [yarn] token to their hair material.
Currently I just end up with a fort full of dwarves with "clean-shaven" facial hair and a pile of Urist head hair.
(By the way, it is fun reading "Urist cancels xxx: Handling a dangerous creature" and seeing a dwarf dragging another dwarf.)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven hair yarn?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:29:45 pm »

Don't take my word for it.
But it might (and I stress, MIGHT) be an ethics related issue.
Try setting dwarven ethics to make it acceptable to make trophies from the same race and see what happens.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:32:13 pm »

Don't take my word for it.
But it might (and I stress, MIGHT) be an ethics related issue.
Try setting dwarven ethics to make it acceptable to make trophies from the same race and see what happens.
Already tried that but it didn't seem to work.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 02:33:09 pm »

It's possible that the hair is too short to even amount to a single unit of thread, therefore they don't bother messing with it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 02:39:43 pm »

It's possible that the hair is too short to even amount to a single unit of thread, therefore they don't bother messing with it.
Hmm, I have set the shearing lenght to 100 urists instead of the usual 300 for sheep/trolls/furry critters.
I will try modding hairier dorfs and test it at 300 urists. (So I don't have to wait for their beards to grow to 300)

Et tu, Urist

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 04:53:45 am »

Nope, still can't get it to work.
Is there something preventing from using any dwarf-based materials for crafting?

Well, I suppose that I could try making dwarven beards from a custom materials and making a new reaction.

Et tu, Urist