Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Learning disabilities and natal development  (Read 3590 times)

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Learning disabilities and natal development
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 09:02:33 am »

I would advocate simplicity if mapping out the brain were to occur. So just frontal, parietal, occipital, and temporal lobes, the two hemispheres(so just apply the left/right tags to the lobes), corpus callosum, brainstem, and the cerebellum. Then just apply what the structures in those areas do, instead of mapping out the structures within the structures.

So instead of also mapping out the thalamus, hypothalamus, hippocampus, caudate nucleus etc. and where they are, just take what they do and apply to the bigger structures. Just so the game doesn't have to keep track of all the itty-bitty parts.

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 03:54:34 pm »

Or maybe dyslexia is an affect of choosing to have a low reading skill from the get-go?
Not reading; READING is a skill. Low LINGUISTIC_ABILITY would probably be what would be associated with dyslexia, if anything.

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 10:28:18 am »

Or maybe dyslexia is an affect of choosing to have a low reading skill from the get-go?
Not reading; READING is a skill. Low LINGUISTIC_ABILITY would probably be what would be associated with dyslexia, if anything.
Thing is that would affect social stuff. Though that doesn't mater now later it will, and as far as I know (feel free to correct) having dyslexia doesn't mess with speech all to much. I do understand what you mean about skill though, and I agree with you there.

Unless I am totally wrong in how LINGUISTIC_ABILITY works xP not knowing completely how the code works doesn't help

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:23 am »

Dwarves seem "special" as they are now. I think Toady intended to do that. I mean, consider what such a hostile environment would cause a sentient being to become, i.e., stronger, faster, smarter, and look at how neurotic and flimsy, like most modern urban dwelling monkeys, Dwarves already are.

I imagine the final product of DF is going to have a massive checklist in the world gen so people can play a livable fortress without the Dwarves collapsing at the start because the initial seven have been spawned as quadriplegic, all-phobic, syphilitic, high cholesterol bags of flesh.

Toady seriously needs to put Dwarven castes into the game so things like this are actually manageable. You can already mod the castes to cause Dwarves of certain quality to reliably manifest and emigrate to your fortress, but it surely needs to be like that from vanilla DF. Without it, you get as said above. Realistically, you would not get a boat load of crazy or obese Dwarves dropped into your lap all at once.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:45:07 am by Alpha Dwarf »

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 04:07:24 pm »

Hah, when you said urban dwelling monkey, I guess you mean people, but at first I thought you meant it literally, like in india, where there are actual monkeys in the cities, who actually cause a fair bit of havoc.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »

I like that you suggested this.  Dwarves probably wouldn't have names for these things, but disorders existed before people had names for them, so the suggestion is still valid.  That being said...

We already have attributes, and even before personalities really matter we've seen things like doctors with a severe lack of empathy.  And the definition of a disorder is basically "a trait that makes life difficult".  Dyslexia isn't a disorder in a society where reading isn't an important skill, and OCD could be considered a plus if you're expected to keep your workspace sterile.  My point is disorders can be situational, and the attribute system can already model personal weaknesses in a general sense.  In terms of capability, a disorder could be defined simply as a low attribute that cannot be easily increased.  We don't necessarily need to track whether a given dwarf has a given disorder.

To me, the main reason to have explicit disabilities would be to have characters react differently to those who have disorders.  This is tricky though, because what is a disorder changes from time to time even in relatively stable societies.  A shortish time ago homosexuality was officially a disorder in the USA.  What a disorder is would likely be entirely different across alien societies like goblins or elves.  But at the same time, I'm not sure I trust the computer to be able to identify which qualities a given culture would value enough that a lack of them is a disorder.  You could define these things in advance but societies are supposed to be semi-randomly generated and change over time during play.  It's an interesting issue.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 06:59:05 pm »

Regardless, some things should be definable as disorders to a given entity/race. I general, I agree that it should vary on norms and values.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 07:35:20 pm »

Quote from: EnigmaticHat
I fully embrace your point, and in fact, i was in a class this year that looked at how Autism would be evolutionarily successful, and we came up with several interesting theories. I'll be back to post them later though, tired as all hell and still have to keep studying.
Pages: 1 2 [3]