Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: stone age weapons  (Read 8276 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: stone age weapons
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 04:29:20 am »

Lugaro is selling on Steam for $10, the sequel Overgrowth looks much more impressive, and lends itself to infinite modability.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 09:44:57 am »

Stone would be a poorer weapon in all regards to metal.  It weighs less and has less edge.  But stone weapons could be made quick and numerous, 5 clubs from a boulder, they may break after a dozen hits but who cares?  Ceramic weapons as well.  Yet, until weapon and armor damage are included, the disposable weapons don't make much sense.

Bone, stone, and wooden weapons are easy enough to mod in.  Stone warhammers would just need a custom reaction to make a weapon using GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT.  Same with bone spears, except it makes sense to add 1 wood to their requirements.  Only problem with bone is that it consumes a whole stack.  Stone axes could be introduced, but because of their poor damage, their slicing attack would almost always become a blunt attack, so it'd just make more since to include only clubs.

You could somewhat easily make a new material named after a metal, and then a new weapon called a "tipped spear".  The copycat metals would have the same in-game name, but would have lower stats.  Then, have a requirement for 1 bar of metal and 1 log, and produce 5 weapons of copy-metal.  The effect would be that you can take 1 bar of copper and 1 log, and produce 5 "copper tipped spears" that would be worse than conventional but cheaper to produce.

I was thinking about something like this. Whenever I see something like 'iron long sword' or 'copper battle axe', I always think that they're made entirely out of the one metal. I've seen this in another game called 'NetHack', where the wiki says that a dagger is made out of iron. I always thought that the weapon was made out of nothing than iron. And, about bone spears and arrows, I was thinking more like obsidian arrowheads to make 25 obsidian arrows or obsidian spearheads to make 5 obsidian spears. That way, the Mesoamerican Dwarfs challenge on the DF wiki could be more realistic, as the Aztecs probably didn't even have copper. All they had at their disposal was wood and obsidian.

And about stone axes, they could also be made of obsidian, in the form of 'obsidian hand axes [3]' per chunk of obsidian.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 12:04:53 pm »

I imagine some weapons are solid metal, namely swords would be able to be whole-metal, just maybe not entirely one metal.  Iron blade with a cheaper copper handle, perhaps.  Most other weapons would be mostly wood though, like a metal axehead on a wooden shaft, and especially metal spearhead on a wooden spear.  It's just that it gets abstracted away and ignored as "minor details", and would also be a bit of bad tastes for some people.  Many players (myself included) may prefer to make metal shafts for the weapons and metal tips, instead of using wooden handles.  I suspect once combat penalties for larger weapons get introduced, then wooden handles will follow somewhere after.  For instance, you can currently swing a 500 pound hammer as quickly as a dagger.  When there's a penalty for weight, then Toady will/should introduce a way to decrease weapon weight.

Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 05:49:25 am »

This may be digging up a dead thread, but I'm interested in it.

I'm from New Zealand and I was interested in creating a Maori Pa style fortress (google image search it). These were sometimes built on dead volcanoes which were artificially terraced. The terraces had spiked wooden posts on their outer edges, and trenches were dug into the terraces behind the spike fences. They had gates and also towers I think.

The weapons were made from wood, bone stone and obsidian. There weren't bows (though there were rope and wood spear throwers!) or edged weapons (obsidian would probably be too brittle for a large blade I think). They mostly used clubs and spears, an survived on a diet of seafood, sweet potato, watercress, pork, birds and moa from memory(look up Moa, and Haast's Eagle – biggest land and air birds ever, I think). Kea and Kiwis are our birds also, If you've seen them in-game.

Artistically, there is a really rich wood-carving tradition.

Maybe I should get into modding for this.. could be interesting. In theory these options should be available though as they're all pretty low-tech.

EDIT: The Hobbit, etc.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 06:14:27 am »

I believe the "Masterwork" mod has both spear throwers and bone weapons.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 09:12:55 am »

I was thinking about something like this. Whenever I see something like 'iron long sword' or 'copper battle axe', I always think that they're made entirely out of the one metal. I've seen this in another game called 'NetHack', where the wiki says that a dagger is made out of iron.
This is realistic. Well, except maybe for spears. It would create a stronger weapon less likely to fracture or break, all they would need to do is wrap something like leather or cloth around the grip to make it comfortable to hold.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 11:56:35 am »

Perhaps new modular system is in order for weapons? Swords and their smaller forms would be unchanged, since for a full-tang weapon the only non-metal part is some sort of grip, which is negligible enough to gloss over in game mechanics. For most weapons of the DF historical setting and earlier, there were two or more pieces to each weapon. Those pieces, in most instances, could be used for a variety of purposes individually, sometimes on their own. As a few examples:

Polearms:
A spear, pike, halberd, Lucerne hammer, etc. each would need a wooden pole and a metal head. The heads would be forged from a bar, yielding multiples for some varieties, and the poles would be made by a carpenter. A pole could be equipped as a weapon on its own, being basically just a staff, and the heads added on later when a metal industry is up and running. The poles could also be sharpened into basic punjis or spears, used as axles, cut down into smaller hafts, bundled and used as palisades, et cetera.

Example: a Weaponsmith uses a copper bar to forge Copper Hammer Head [2] while a Carpenter takes two logs to make two Oak Poles. The Weaponsmith then combines the parts into two Lucerne Hammers, which work roughly the same way as a staff in combat and could use the same skill (perhaps 'Staff Wielder'). If the player changes their mind before making the hammers, they could also sharpen the poles and/or forge Steel Spearhead [5] out of a bar and attach those to the poles instead, which would then use a Spearman skill since the usage is different from a swung polearm.

Hafted weapons:
Axes, picks, flails and such would use a shorter wooden handle with a separate metal head. The handle itself would function as a club if used without a head. Most of the same heads used in polearms would work for hafted weapons too: an Axe Head could make either a halberd or a battle axe, and a Hammer Head could make either a Lucerne hammer or a war hammer.

Tipped weapons:
ImBocaire mentioned earlier about making leather whips, and then tipping them with metal. The same principle could apply to a number of other concepts, all of which would work similarly. A bar of metal could be forged into a stack of metal points, which could then be attached to whips or to shafts to make arrows and bolts. A bar of metal could also be molded into shot for slings, or forged into darts for a dart gun, which in turn could be dipped in venom or some other syndrome-inducing contaminant. Branching off from this, small rock collection could be ported over from adventure mode to allow for stone 'shot' in the form of pebbles, and chert or obsidian pebbles could be sharpened into arrowheads or spearheads to make weapons slightly better than wood-only versions, before metal is available.

I'm aware that much of this has been done already in various mods such as Wanderer's Friend and Masterwork. I am not aware of a modular, useful-parts system where e.g. a pole can be used as a standalone weapon and then later upgraded to a true polearm. But perhaps this system would be too labor-intensive for many to find it preferable? Personally I'd rather do the extra work of carving poles and hafts, simply because the thought of a two meter all-steel spear bugs me.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 05:55:04 pm »

This may be digging up a dead thread, but I'm interested in it.

I'm from New Zealand and I was interested in creating a Maori Pa style fortress (google image search it). These were sometimes built on dead volcanoes which were artificially terraced. The terraces had spiked wooden posts on their outer edges, and trenches were dug into the terraces behind the spike fences. They had gates and also towers I think.

The weapons were made from wood, bone stone and obsidian. There weren't bows (though there were rope and wood spear throwers!) or edged weapons (obsidian would probably be too brittle for a large blade I think). They mostly used clubs and spears, an survived on a diet of seafood, sweet potato, watercress, pork, birds and moa from memory(look up Moa, and Haast's Eagle – biggest land and air birds ever, I think). Kea and Kiwis are our birds also, If you've seen them in-game.

Artistically, there is a really rich wood-carving tradition.

Maybe I should get into modding for this.. could be interesting. In theory these options should be available though as they're all pretty low-tech.

EDIT: The Hobbit, etc.

i am also a kiwi and have considered modding in moa  and other NZ animals before, we would nead to make greanstone as well
Pages: 1 [2]