Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What's the deal with this game?  (Read 4832 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's the deal with this game?
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 07:20:24 pm »

I've only played this game for a year or so, and most of that year was spent getting mad at my inability to memorize the interface. I kept saying "don't give up, look at all the cool stuff you can do" and I would redownload the game and try again, only to get slaughtered by a carp or loose troll in the bedrooms. Every time I lost, I looked back and thought "hey, no other game I've played has this depth and complexity, and nothing else lets me imagine things as I want them." (its been a long gaming career, got my NES when I was 3, that was back in 1989, and been going ever since then). Got tired of Minecraft over the summer, and the year before I quit WoW, because it just wasn't fun anymore. I played a bit of adventure mode, had fun throwing XXSocksXX at people, and realized this is the game I've always wanted.

The interface makes sense, if you look at it closer. Every designation of things to be done is under d), buildings are under b), etc. Sure its convoluted and a bit messy, but its no worse than remembering keybindings for Starcraft (which I can't figure out for the life of me, I got DF much easier)

The sky is the limit in dwarf fortress, and in the last year I've had more fun with a free game that is roughly 34% complete than in a 3D world with awesome graphics, just because Dwarf Fortress has something the others lack... And I think that is a dedicated creator, a rabid (and amazingly helpful and tolerant, if insane) fanbase, all revolving around one hell of a game, that will only become bigger and better.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]