Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Jellyfish god named Abe  (Read 7495 times)

filipmolnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jellyfish god named Abe
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 04:36:13 am »

Speaking of "Name generator spits out surprisingly familiar historical figure name", I'll never forget the best quest I ever received in Adventure Mode.

It was several versions ago, some iteration of DF2010 shortly after Toady added the first Night Creatures (what are now called the Trolls, I think). The world I genned was absolutely overrun with them - after taking out the first bandit leader or two (back when those were still pushovers, and not the invincible death gods they've become recently) my quest targets list was completely dominated by them. As I traveled around the greater area around this capital, hunting down their lairs, I was noticing that all the ones I was being sent after were the offspring, bride-of-X types, and they were all the same type; it seemed like all the trolls besieging my civ were converts made by the same original. (I'll never remember the type ... I think it was Skinless Freak, but it doesn't really matter.) Finally after slaying about 7 or 8 of this mysterious unseen Troll patriarch's offspring I get the big quest -- "You have gained great respect in the eyes of our people," blah blah blah -- to go take out the originator himself. At last, I knew the name of the beast.
My Quest Log recorded in very plain terms what was to be my final mission:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well at least he just had sex :D
D_E is a true saint.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 04:50:27 am »

Speaking of "Name generator spits out surprisingly familiar historical figure name", I'll never forget the best quest I ever received in Adventure Mode.

It was several versions ago, some iteration of DF2010 shortly after Toady added the first Night Creatures (what are now called the Trolls, I think). The world I genned was absolutely overrun with them - after taking out the first bandit leader or two (back when those were still pushovers, and not the invincible death gods they've become recently) my quest targets list was completely dominated by them. As I traveled around the greater area around this capital, hunting down their lairs, I was noticing that all the ones I was being sent after were the offspring, bride-of-X types, and they were all the same type; it seemed like all the trolls besieging my civ were converts made by the same original. (I'll never remember the type ... I think it was Skinless Freak, but it doesn't really matter.) Finally after slaying about 7 or 8 of this mysterious unseen Troll patriarch's offspring I get the big quest -- "You have gained great respect in the eyes of our people," blah blah blah -- to go take out the originator himself. At last, I knew the name of the beast.
My Quest Log recorded in very plain terms what was to be my final mission:

Well at least he just had sex :D

You're more correct than you think -- when I went into his lair (with my 2 companions only) I damn near died because there was actually one last Bride-Of living in the lair with him that I hadn't been told to expect by anyone; I had engaged her not really paying attention and thought she was Akon for about 10 turns before the actual him came charging out of the back and tried to, ahem, 'smack that' (where "that" was my character's skull, into the wall).

Fortunately my meat shields (RIP) soaked up enough of their attention that I was able to kill both the beasts and make it out alive. I tromped back to the Capital in glory, turned in the quest, then hauled myself up north across the river to a border Fortress of the neighboring civ to begin the next chapter of my quest,

Moral of the story - If you kill Akon, expect the world to go with him. I guess he was more like Atlas.

filipmolnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 02:30:40 pm »

Awesome :D
D_E is a true saint.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 03:32:08 pm »

I don't want to worship Jesus anymore,I want to worship that thing!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »

Jesus died for the sin of not being a Jellyfish. This is known.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 04:50:14 am »

Jesus died for the sin of not being a Jellyfish. This is known.

Jesus died because he didn't know to wield a sword or a gun.This is known.
Pages: 1 2 [3]