Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Tower Defense game  (Read 3260 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Tower Defense game
« on: December 09, 2012, 03:08:03 am »

I want a dwarf Fortress Tower Defense game.

All the mechanics for DF mechanisms and water/magma same as in the game, except what you make has to fit the maps, and you have a dwarf labor budget to install the mechanisms.

Imagine Dwarf Fortress meets Tower Defense meets Fantastic Contraption.

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Tower Defense game
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:17:36 am »

Just build a a narrow and winding entrance to your fortress, and place traps and dwarfs with crossbows throughout them. Close enough, right?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 05:37:14 am »

Just build a a narrow and winding entrance to your fortress, and place traps and dwarfs with crossbows throughout them. Close enough, right?

Trapavoid creatures and Elite bowgoblins.

FUN right?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:18:38 am »

Trapavoid creatures and Elite bowgoblins.

FUN right?

Yes. Apply watery death to Elite bowgoblins.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 06:28:08 am »

Fortress defence mod already does this.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 12:31:48 pm »

Fortress defence mod already does this.

Hrm, I thought that Fortress Defense mod was a Dwarf Fortress mod, not a Tower Defense game?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 12:36:44 pm »

All the mechanics for DF mechanisms and water/magma same as in the game, except what you make has to fit the maps, and you have a dwarf labor budget to install the mechanisms.

how would you build mechanism? and dig tunnels? the more feature you add, the more it seems like the standard dwarf fortress with more seasonal sieges  :P

but I don't dislike the idea of a counter toward the next siege and a remaining enemy/next wave on some menu

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 04:41:23 pm »

how would you build mechanism? and dig tunnels? the more feature you add, the more it seems like the standard dwarf fortress with more seasonal sieges  :P

but I don't dislike the idea of a counter toward the next siege and a remaining enemy/next wave on some menu

Most tower defense games have a node with health, and you get resources of some sort for killing stuff.

I figure, you collect goblinite from enemies for resources, but you could also get a dwarfpower counter for resources based on the health of your "base".  Goblinite + dwarfpower = points to build with.

Tunnels though, I'd say tunnels should be game-generated.  It's your job to figure out how to build traps and walls inside the tunnels.  A lot of tower defense games allow you to put up walls to channel enemies where you want them.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 04:53:07 pm »

Technically, the game "Dwarfs!?" has a tower defence mode.  I haven't tried it much, but it might be sort of what you are looking for.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout