Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding strange structures in your map, no spelunking needed!  (Read 810 times)

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
Finding strange structures in your map, no spelunking needed!
« on: December 02, 2012, 05:34:12 am »

Stumbled upon this one on my current fort while trying to put up a weapon trap. I accidentally pressed S and started making a spike trap. Because I'm lazy, I kept it.

I wanted to attach it to a lever, so I could pulverize any gobbos. In the lever setting up screen thing, I found that  I could hook up the lever to an artifact sword structure. Now I didn't know I had the strange structure clown circus thing in my map at the time, but I knew what the artifact sword meant, so yeah.

I have gone down far enough to confirm that it is a circus enterence thing.

I haven't tested to see what happens if I hook up the lever to the sword and pull, but I'm thinking something awesome. Maybe it opens up the circus, and I can close it with another lever pull? Could be a great way of limiting the amount of super fun stuff I deal with.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding strange structures in your map, no spelunking needed!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 06:05:23 am »

You can also check for the upright swords the second you embark, with R. Or possibly r.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:18:26 am »

Really? I find it takes away from the fun of discovering it, but I guess if you want an Adventure fortress, you'd like to know you have one.

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 06:32:17 am »

This is a pretty old bug (was around in df2010). I am not sure if anyone has actually followed up on the game suggesting you link it up to a lever. Probably worth someone having a go :)  My current fort has one of these thingys also, but it will probably be quite a while before I consider playing in there.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:46:56 am »

Then I shall be the first. I would have to deal with a fb and a bunch of zomboids first, but when did that stuff ever stop anybody?

I just hope it doesn't destroy the sword. I'll create a backup save in case it does. And I'll also have a bridge gate so no foe can leave.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:50:48 am »

A backup will be good in case you decide the lag isn't worth the FUN.  "They" don't start spawning until you've opened.  I once had a map with two very different biomes adjoining, which caused the bottom layer of magma to form magma-falls into purple oblivion.  I discovered this by opening a tunnel above the magma.  Although I hurridly sealed the tunnel so that nothing could harm my fortress, the lag as each new wave spawned, flew/swam/ran around, and wandered off the map, was unlivable.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.