Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [WIP] Unified Skin, Leather and Bone Mod  (Read 3244 times)

Zucchini

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-Purpose Vegetable
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] My Epidermis is Showing: Comprehensive Skins/Leather System
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 05:08:00 pm »

Oh, and a question for the engineers/more-physics-literate-people here:

What is strain at yield a direct expression of?  EDIT AGAIN: Answered. I'll bring it up in a new thread for discussion, because that didn't have to be so hard.  At all.

But in case curious, the answer is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Original post asking it really stupidly:

First edit, asking it in a slightly more intelligent way after a bit more research:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:03:17 am by Zucchini »
I want to take the ears off, but I can't.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 04:55:26 am »

General body hair on furry creatures becomes kind of confusing. What I have done before, was to make sure the tissue was still called 'skin', and left the hair tissues where they are to prevent the headache of non-fur hair being weird, and having to remove all the tissues by hand. So far I have not found a way to prevent hair from showing up at all after butchery, or a way to keep cetain tissue layers together after butchery.
Yeah, I'm not quite sure what to do here.  My inclination thus far has been to go all the way and change the methodology to integrate fur and skin in the same layer, just getting rid of hair as a tissue layer except where it makes specific sense (manes, furry tails, etc.).

I'm not at all sure that it wouldn't be better to keep "fur" as a separate tissue layer, like it's already set up with hair by default, but that nonsensical butchering product is bothersome.  Doesn't make sense to have a butchered ermine yield both "ermine pelt" and "ermine fur"/"ermine hair."  On the other hand, something like a horse would technically look more like a human -- a creature with a normal skin that drops hair (mane and tail).

Looking at your experience, if I understand it all correctly, to do it this way will get away from that problem of "hair" showing up in butchering products, but it's going to involve a hell of a lot of manual removal of hair from creatures.  But it's the only non-awkward way to do it -- and nonsensical butchering products fit into that "workaroundiness" I'm trying so hard to get away from.  Hrm.  Lots of work.

I also notice you added a seperate material for the tissue layer fur. What you can do, is to simply use the tissue layer fur for the tanned items as well so that you only need to set one color per creature.
Wouldn't that mean that the pelt/furred skin wouldn't need to be tanned?
It would still need the tanning reaction in order to be turned from bodypart into tanned skin item. This also stops rotting, from gameplay perspective its essentialy the same result.

As for FBs, from what I know they are built basicaly the same as vanilla creatures. Standard mats+tissues, + whatever body detail plan their specific nature requires, like the hair body detail plan, humanoid relsizes, ribcages etc etc. The standard mats will allways load first, so if you modify another body detail plan to overwrite one of the materials it should remove the original. It is a somewhat sloppy way to do it, but right now also the only way and the end result should be good.
The question would be, then, which BDPs to modify...  But wait.  I think I'm seeing it...  So, for example, for hardcoded vermin birds, take a later BDP that the game will always apply to them -- say, one of the new feathered body part ones -- and use it to remove the "monstrous"-strength tissue layers and replace them hollow bones and weak skin and gizzards, etc.?  (Or remove all specific organs in favor of nonspecific bird viscera.)  If I've got what you mean right, AWESOME -- that would solve the bird/FB hard-coding BDP problem.
Body detail plans can add materials, tissues, tissue layers, and bodypart relations (like skulls being around brains). Sadly you cant remove bodyparts, and while you can make an additional copy of the vertebrate tissue layer plan to use just one material for all the organs, that would still mean you have to go past each vermin bird and change that part.

Changing the feather tissue layer plan would probably also cause trouble with feathery FBs. Its probabaly best left as it is. Removing tissue layer hair however should be fairly easy. There are seperate plans for body-covering hair and just head hair like humans have. Just replace the first one with [ADD_TISSUE:SKIN:FUR_TEMPLATE], and you have a creature without hair or skin tissue layer and just fur instead.

Note that all lines used by the random creatures generator can be found in the string dump. Maybe someone has made a specific article about it by now, im not sure. String dump link: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/String_dump
...  which also suggests I may want to relegate the CHITIN_MATERIALS and CHITIN_TISSUES to FB-only use like I did for the STANDARD ones...
I think FBs use allmost every body detail plan, so all the material plans will need to be kept for them only.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Zucchini

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-Purpose Vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »

Alright, thanks Grim.  I'll be a lot more intelligent about this stuff once I wade into it, and then I'm sure I'll be a lot better able to digest all of it.

---

Spent the last four days trying to figure out just what the hell all these physical data like strain at yield really mean, so I'm now I'm going back through all my numbers and coming up with final numbers for bone, horn, tooth, etc.  Should be done with that in a few days, and then I'll be getting into the BDPs in earnest.
I want to take the ears off, but I can't.
Pages: 1 [2]