Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volcano Elevations  (Read 773 times)

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Volcano Elevations
« on: November 19, 2012, 03:37:29 pm »

In the world generation parameters I would like to see Volcanoes broken down into low, medium, and high elevations.   Right now we only have the 'mountain' volcanoes that are  high elevation, but there could be medium hill volcanoes, and low  caldera volcanoes as well.

Right now its just a little strange for me to see a volcano square of *** elevation in the middle of 3-4 elevation tiles when searching for embark sites.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano Elevations
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:18:42 pm »

Seconded. I'd also like to see volcano tubes and magma pipes have some z-level structure to them, and not be smoothly vertical. A volcano might have a wide lake of magma at the surface and a narrow, twisting tube down to the magma sea, or there might be large, bulging magma chambers down below.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:22:04 am »

Instead of just "minimum number of volcanoes"  it should be split into "minimum low elevation volcanoes" "minimum medium elevation volcanoes" "minimum high elevation volcanoes" in the settings

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:47:10 am »

this would make genning a world for a volcano site a lot easier.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:31:46 pm »

In the world generation parameters I would like to see Volcanoes broken down into low, medium, and high elevations.   Right now we only have the 'mountain' volcanoes that are  high elevation, but there could be medium hill volcanoes, and low  caldera volcanoes as well.

Right now its just a little strange for me to see a volcano square of *** elevation in the middle of 3-4 elevation tiles when searching for embark sites.

You do get sunken caldera ones already. It depends on the overall elevation of the map.

I've had quite a few I could just channel a river straight into for an instant obsidian roof, then i put instant magma forges there.

Seconded. I'd also like to see volcano tubes and magma pipes have some z-level structure to them, and not be smoothly vertical. A volcano might have a wide lake of magma at the surface and a narrow, twisting tube down to the magma sea, or there might be large, bulging magma chambers down below.

This is a good idea though.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:21:21 am by Reelya »

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:12:37 pm »

I want to see acid volcanoes.

You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:29:38 pm »

You do get sunken caldera ones already. It depends on the overall elevation of the map.

I've had quite a few I could just channel a river straight into for an instant obsidian roof, then i put instant magma forges there.

well that may be, but I still think there could be definate options for these in the world gen parameters.

Acid volcanoes would be fun too haha.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:57:26 am »

Calderas may happen, technically, but it's not "intentional". It would be nice to have calderas and other volcanic forms appear by design, and therefore correspond better to their real-world counterparts.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.