Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When running DF on my Mac, I get this message on my terminal window...  (Read 1320 times)

Penguinator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

The game works fine, but the message that is displayed along with the game in a terminal window is really freaking me out. it says: (read bold part)

713 dwarfort.exe[16137:707] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.

Dec 31 18:59:59 Michaels-MacBook-Pro.local dwarfort.exe[16137] <Error>: The function `CGSFlushWindow' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance. Please use `CGSFlushWindowContentRegion' instead.

Is the game going to damage my mac in the long run?

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When running DF on my Mac, I get this message on my terminal window...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:01:12 pm »

Nope.

Deprecated functions just mean that whichever programmers are responsible for that code don't want to support it any longer, and should pull that support sometime.  The big issue is that if they just pull the code from their releases, suddenly any program that relies on it won't work any more and they'll get blamed for it.  So, they're trying to scare any developer who still uses that into updating their code.

If the developers pull support, the game will almost certainly crash when that function is called and not do anything else.  But since it's related to graphics, it's got nothing to do with altering data stored on your computer.

LHLF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When running DF on my Mac, I get this message on my terminal window...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 03:44:43 pm »

I saw this message recently and was forwarded to this post.
I understand that it won't cause damage to computer data, but that doesn't mean that his can make DF unplayable after some update, and this is even more terrifying!
Does anybody know if toady knows about this and if this function will be changed to the proper one on this next update?
It sounds rather crucial...