Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommended games for Ubuntu (or any linux distro)  (Read 645 times)

ShuangXi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recommended games for Ubuntu (or any linux distro)
« on: November 23, 2012, 03:21:28 am »

Most games on the list of free games seem to be for windows.

Any recommendation for Linux games?  I'm currently installing UFO: Alien Invasion  which looks awesome.

I prefer in depth games that you can take slow (non-real time).

Also, prefer games that aren't required to connect to internet (MMO) and don't need too much graphical power.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended games for Ubuntu (or any linux distro)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 04:38:00 am »

You have to try Battle for Wesnoth. It's a fantasy turn-based strategy game with a simple set of rules, but with a lot of depth to it.

And you also made me think of NetHack.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

mongrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 04:43:43 am »

Run Ubuntu Software Center and look in there. Linux games are mostly packaged up and supplied with the distro's package manager. Desura (www.desura.com) also has a good selection of modern indie titles. Also check out www.lgdb.org

Here's one to get you started.

Battle for Wesnoth.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 04:44:35 am »

Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 05:55:29 am »

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 06:37:40 am »

Although it is graphically-inclined, the Vulture's/Whatever Tooth/Claw/whatever-the-latest-is spinoff of Nethack (and the like) look and run nice on my Linuxes.

And what's the one with the (alien) robot penguin against the (native, but rogue) rampaging robots?  (Although I've found performance problems with it trying to do software emulation of hardware graphics functions, on a system improperly configured from the start.  There are some switches to make the display system expect to do software-only graphics accelerations, though, if you can't solve the other issue.)  Ah, just remembered, it's "FreeDroidRPG".  (Not to be entirely confused with plain old "FreeDroid", the direct "Paradroid" clone.)

Other than the above (and a game I forget the name of that pits you against planets and their gravity-wells in order to try and shoot the opposition, which I've spent many an hour making pretty patterns with), most of the 'games' I play on Linux are ones of my own design, in a severe "pre-Alpha" prototype stage.  Been a while since I've even tried DF's Linux version, actually, I now realise...