Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ridiculous Computer Slowness. (solved)  (Read 2088 times)

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous Computer Slowness.
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 07:59:47 pm »

Type msconfig into start menu box. Go to Startup tab and Disable All. Go to Services Tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services box, then Disable All.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 09:37:30 pm »

pagefile.sys is the retarded virtual ram that unfortunately we still need even when 8gb of ram is dirt cheap now. do moo's suggestion, also see if you can post all of the running processes here via saving process data from Process Explorer so i can tell you what to turn off. IF you really don't know what to do i can suggest doing remote support for you via join.me

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »

Well, after doing moo's suggestion, startup is near-instant. Thanks you guys! No slowness! Woo!  :D

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous Computer Slowness. (solved)
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:58 am »

So now you are not running any anti virus or flash or java updaters that usually run in the background?

Chances are it was only 1 of those items making the pc slow, not really requiring turning most of the features off and basically running Windows in stripped down safe mode.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:21:48 am by foil »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 02:49:13 am »

Actually, I stayed well away from the "services" tab in msconfig, since messing with that stuff can lead to problems that range from irritating (accidentally shutting off the sound card) to devastating (making it impossible to use the computer). I just turned off the things in the "startup" tab and got the desired effect.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 11:18:49 am »

Does your antivirus/firewall still run?  The Startup tab is usually where its launched from.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 11:53:20 am »

Not true, they're both services. If there's anything in startup it'll just be a front-end to it, not the firewall/antivirus itself. (and it'll normally replace itself into startup anyway)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 01:09:21 pm »

I always disable all on both startup and services (with the Hide Microsoft Services ticked) and never have a problem. If antivirus is not running as desired just go in and turn it back on.
Pages: 1 [2]