Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gunblitz  (Read 1405 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Gunblitz
« on: September 06, 2012, 07:42:10 pm »

I mentioned on the Happy Thread that I'm now working with Rapture Game Studios developing games.  Our first game has been officially released!

Gunblitz is a retro-style side-scrolling space shooter.  You can download a demo or purchase the full game for about $10.  I would consider it a beta for now, as updates are still in the works.

There's not a whole lot to say about it.  It's very straightforward.  I think it will greatly benefit from further polish, but it is a well-balanced game with a fairly innovative core mechanic.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: Gunblitz
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 08:11:15 pm »

Congrats on the first release!

Looks like a fairly standard shooter. Is there any multiplayer in the works?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »

I've just downloaded the demo but won't be able to try it until some time tomorrow.  It's not really my genre of choice, but looks nice and fluid based off the trailer.

Seriously, congrats on actually releasing a game!  That puts you at least a few massive steps beyond me :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:27:50 pm »

Too bad I had very little to do with it.  I first contacted the team a week ago, and met everyone just as they were wrapping up the release.  The only interaction I had with it was some playtesting, where I did help them identify some bugs.

And I'm not going to say anything on multiplayer or anything else about the future of the game, other than there will be more content and polish put to it.  I signed a non-disclosure agreement, and I don't yet have a feel for how the leads would prefer questions like that to be handled.  The founder sort of made a big deal about "I don't even tell my family what we're doing!"

Anyway, I'm really hoping this thing does well.  My job is fucking killing me.  I'm seriously reaching the end of my tolerance for it.  I don't think I could last another year without doing something stupid.  This is directly funding my near-future escape to a less depressing life.

Some tips for anyone who tries the game:

Pay attention to the heat bar.  When it gets high enough, you start losing health.  The heat-releasing special attacks are pretty awesome, but they have a cooldown.  If you hold down the fire button all the time, you will cause yourself unavoidable heat damage.

Remember your guided missiles (right-click, IIRC), and aim them with the mouse.  They're incredibly useful.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 04:03:04 pm »

Congrats on the new job. I'm a bit jealous to tell you the truth :)

Check with the studio on how much info you can release about both Gunblitz and any future releases. Bay12 is a pretty good forum to get feedback from. It might not always be balanced, you might not always like it, but at least it will be based on actual brain functions, not just "This suxxors". There'll probably be some pretty good feedback as well.

Anyway, I love a good space shooter and the heat management mechanic sounds interesting. I'll grab the demo today and give it a whirl. I'll probably purchase it if it's any good, haven't played a decent shooter in a while.
It's a game. Have fun.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 07:35:51 pm »

There's a new demo out today.

It's not my new job yet.  The company has to start making enough money to support paid employees first.  Right now we're just a bunch of people making stuff on our own time and resources, while holding down normal jobs.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 01:27:12 am »

Major Update:

Gunblitz has been dropped to $7 and is officially out of beta.  They're saying it's bug-free and polished.  You can still get the demo or purchase the game from our website

But the really big news is it's been put up on Steam Greenlight today.  I'm extremely thankful to anyone who takes a moment to vote for us!
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 02:06:57 am »

Gunblitz can be bought for $1 right now on our website.  I think this deal will last a few days.  This is the official statement.

Hey all!!! Black Friday is here at the Studio!!! Someone just hacked our system and now you can buy Gunblitz for $1.00 on our website..This will be until next week but we are trying to fix the matter could take up to seven days to fix!!! Pick it up while you still can!!!!

Here's where it can be bought on our website.

More importantly, if you haven't already, vote for us on Steam Greenlight!  Even if you're uninterested in the game, do it for me!!!
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight