Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: You are a Space Army Project  (Read 7945 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Space Army Project
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2012, 10:22:05 am »

Precisely. So if we're breaking the laws of physics, it's kinda silly to use the exact same law of physics in your argument.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2012, 12:01:32 pm »

I always figured FTL involved slipping in a parallel dimension, in which case you won't have to bother about photonic emissions anyway.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2012, 12:08:22 pm »

Well...how DOES FTL work in this game?
(Gives a sidelong glance to the GM)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2012, 12:27:25 pm »

There is no F.T.L.! Each turn takes a decade!

Hrmmm, what are the popular forms of F.T.L.. You have your basic "My laws of physics are different than yours" approach which generally just has ships getting where they want to when it is convenient and without explanation. The "lets slip into an alternate space whose dimensions are not consistent with our own" bit which is commonly referred to as hyperspace or similar. The local spatial folding thing popularised as warp drive. The point-to-point spatial folding that produces "wormholes"... Teleportation which typically involves converting the subject into an energy form that travels faster than light and then converting them back again, or more typically murders the subject and then copies them someplace else, but if you can convert someone into energy to disassemble them, and have energy that can communicate with the destination F.T.L., why bother with moral issues? Unless you are using sympathetic particles or something that don't actually transit... There is occasionally one where you can go from one space to another and set your destination point, then repeat the process setting your destination in your origin space. That last one raises the issue of just edition your positional data, which would require an uncommonly meta relationship with reality...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2012, 12:35:06 pm »

You teleport to a diferent dimension where space and time work in a different way.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]