Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: it hurts  (Read 2014 times)

endoric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
it hurts
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:33:21 pm »

my head is what i am referring to.

I am 32 years old, college educated and I have seen the world.  I feel like a smart guy who can figure stuff out but damn this game is deep. 

Now I know what my 8 year old nephew feels like when he can't figure out the controls to Crysis 2.

OK I haven't given up yet! 

this game doesn't have a steep learning curve, it has a sheer learning cliff.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: it hurts
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 06:45:30 pm »

It doesn't lie:

http://dodonov.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Learning_curve.jpg

But it's generally worth the effort, although it may end up ruining the less complex games for you for all eternity.
Then again, it's already become a lot more accessible since 2d and earlier 3d versions, the only thing i currently find difficult to handle is the new military.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 06:48:46 pm by Lord Snow »

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 08:07:44 pm »

But it's generally worth the effort, although it may end up ruining the less complex games for you for all eternity.

A minor side effect of true gaming.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:21:18 am »

Yes. I like to think of Dwarf Fotress as the computer era's version of chess (or if chess screwed solitaire so hard that it made a rainman version of D&D). It's easy to look at the pieces, and if your lucky you can even just kinda move around, but playing the game takes a lot of time.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:38:09 am »

Tried this? http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

It should help, especially if you can find a tutorial to help you through the first few stages.

endoric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 03:52:48 pm »

Oh i am all over the wiki thanks though!  this game is addicting.  i must say that the Total noob pack really helps.  I just can not do ASCII graphics.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:52:13 pm »

It's the only game I procrastinate playing.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 05:55:33 pm »

endoric,
You are a good man woman dwarf for keeping on  ;D

My suggestion comes from my experience.
Approach as if it is your own fantasy book.
Keep asking questions of other dwarves on the forum.
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

endoric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 01:18:25 am »

Ok it doesn't hurt anymore.

But my wife says she misses me.  I promised to nickname a dwarf after her, she wasn't pleased.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 02:40:06 am »

Maybe you should tell her some stories.  Not so much focused on the mechanics, but the life of the world.  Get her interested.

Tell her about Tholtig Cryptbrain.  Tell her about the most metal elf who ever lived.  Tell her the stories of your own worlds, they're there if you look for them.  She might not be interested in your terrifying trap design, but she might find some entertainment in a matriarchal line dating back to the beginning of the world, including the very first necromancer, a miner that shrugged off an exploded liver and a broken left everything in a cave-in and went back to work, and an inspired, artifact-crafting legendary weaponsmith, among other powerful women... well that's one that turned up in one of my worlds, anyway.  What's turned up in yours?  Check relationships in the fortress.  Check legends mode.  Check your own imagination, when something simple happens in an unusual way.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:56:39 am »

Maybe you should tell her some stories.  Not so much focused on the mechanics, but the life of the world.  Get her interested.

Tell her about Tholtig Cryptbrain.  Tell her about the most metal elf who ever lived.  Tell her the stories of your own worlds, they're there if you look for them.  She might not be interested in your terrifying trap design, but she might find some entertainment in a matriarchal line dating back to the beginning of the world, including the very first necromancer, a miner that shrugged off an exploded liver and a broken left everything in a cave-in and went back to work, and an inspired, artifact-crafting legendary weaponsmith, among other powerful women... well that's one that turned up in one of my worlds, anyway.  What's turned up in yours?  Check relationships in the fortress.  Check legends mode.  Check your own imagination, when something simple happens in an unusual way.

And how about the fact that dwarves are so brave they don't care if they are on fire?

RedGolpe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 12:51:29 pm »

I have the same exact feeling as the OP, except I'm 10 years his senior and a veteran of all the most convoluted, impractical and absurd games ever programmed. Funny I stumbled upon DF after pondering about its clone Towns (don't bother to check it out, low reviews everywhere) and how I missed it before. Still, one of the best and deepest games I've ever played.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 09:26:28 pm »

Hook her in with the heartwarming story of a dwarven mother who gets over seeing her two children and husband being shot down by goblin archers with the power of alcohol and kittens. You don't see touching stories like that these days.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!