Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Peacfull games (Preferably roguelike)  (Read 5704 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Peacfull games (Preferably roguelike)
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 12:25:43 pm »

Peaceful roguelikes?  Robot Finds Kitten immediately comes to mind.  It meets almost all of Roguebasin's criteria:
  • User Interface
    • ASCII character display
    • Narrated action
    • Front-loaded commands
    • Keyboard based interaction
  • Game World
    • Random world generation
    • Spatial Consistency
    • Little storyline
    • World interaction
    • Setting
  • Gameplay
    • Grid-based motion
    • Permadeath
    • Freedom
    • Turn-based
    • Dungeon hack
    • Tactical single character play

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 12:57:27 pm »

Earthquake is kooler; at least in Sim City2000 it was...

Yes, but the point is that you don't have to do that. You can run a happy metropolis with no disasters at all if you want to. Just because almost everyone eventually set off a series of earthquakes in quick succession, then set the game to "african swallow" in order to watch their city get consumed by a massive firestorm is... beside the point.

Anyway, my favorite disaster from Sim-City 2000 involves a certain traffic helicopter.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 02:35:19 pm »

Dwarf fortress sans invasions and modded to not have demons and such? Work on building a dwarven condo or super-city.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 05:26:36 pm »

Play any of the Civilization games and choose to have no barbarians and no civilizations other than your own - then see how quickly you can get to a space victory.

Or choose "always peace" and try the pacifist domination challenge in Civ IV.

It's not a roguelike obviously, but it is turn based and has randomly generated maps, so some of the elements are there.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 09:06:51 pm »

Sims 3.

Not a roguelike but damn cool anyways, I had it for years and are just now starting to play it proper now.

On standard settings your Sim only lasts maybe 4-6 hours and is good fun getting them to hit all their lifetime goals and aims.

Also poss to get them to move in with other Sims or make huge family.

Is more like an easy to use AI sandbox rather than a game.

Theres also things like the hobo challenge where you sell everything and try to live off the land or etc etc.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 02:53:48 am »

Honestly, the only games I can really recommend that are roguelike in some manner and are peaceful for the most part are Haven and Hearth and Dwarf Fortress. For non-roguelikes I personally would recommend The Sims franchise and the Harvest Moon franchise, a distant third being the Shepherd's Crossing franchise.

However, Dwarf Fortress and Haven and Hearth from my experience are most like what you are looking for. I myself prefer to have my dwarves live peaceful lives outside of building mazes filled with death traps, and I can vouch for the violent elements of Haven and Hearth being completely optional outside of non-consensual player-versus-player combat. Other than that I don't know what else to suggest. If you find a good peaceful roguelike that allows for the building of nice little hamlets outside of what I have mentioned let us know will you?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 05:49:36 am »

It's not exactly peaceful, but Legerdemain is more focused on interaction with characters than combat.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 09:24:03 pm »

Black and White 2. Build city, make city big. You win!

OpenTTD. Make train networks, make money. More money! More trains. It is good.

Dungeon Keeper 2. Peaceful, what? But it is. Play the 'pet dungeon' levels. Build to your heart's content and drop in a few heroes if you're feeling bloodthirsty.

Unreal. Not peaceful I guess, but play on easy mode and the environments in the game are sometimes breathtaking and a very laid back journey through an alien world. Coupled with the amazing soundtrack this game is like meditation.

Frontier: Elite 2. It's a space exploration game where you're a pilot trying to make money however you can. Ferry goods from system to system, explore distant regions, do military missions or just wander around etc. Doesn't get combative if you stay inside the core systems. That Blue Danube while landing on a planet is just great too.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 09:43:40 pm »

Black and White 2. Build city, make city big. You win!

Seconded, and check out the first game too. You can spend hours training your pet to harvest resources and entertain villagers. In the first, you can then convert the world with doves and kindness; in the second, build an awesome city, treat your villagers nicely, and watch the entire world flock to your metropolis.

Then you can get bored and hurl fireballs until everything burns to ash. Or not, if you're fixed on pacifism.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]