Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attempting to locate Curious Underground Structure  (Read 656 times)

Solusphere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Attempting to locate Curious Underground Structure
« on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:58 am »

Since reading about the Curious Underground Structures in the wiki, i've been attempting to generate a fort containing one which I can use as an Adventure Mode boss battle, of sorts. I've made a whole bunch of fortresses in an attempt to find one, and none of them have had this feature. Making them in evil biomes doesn't seem to have had much effect either. I was wondering if anyone either has a save containing one (preferably with the, uh, "trigger" still in place) or any tips on worldgen settings and the like that would help me locate one myself?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to locate Curious Underground Structure
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 01:58:21 am »

If I remember, in an old thread somebody generated a candy spire that rose straight out of the ground and ~2000 z-levels in to the sky. 5 FPS of course, but that's all I can think of if you're having such bad luck finding it yourself.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Solusphere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 02:04:42 am »

Yeah, i'm aware of that, but The Curious Underground Structure is a specific map feature deliberately generated by the game. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so look it up on the wiki if you want to see what I mean.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:31:34 am »

Yeah, i'm aware of that, but The Curious Underground Structure is a specific map feature deliberately generated by the game. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so look it up on the wiki if you want to see what I mean.

I thought all candy spires led to those? I haven't played fort mode in a long time.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 03:34:41 am »

There's exactly one in each 16x16 'local' embark area. If you embark and then use DFHack's "prospect all" function, it'll tell you at the end if you have one*. With DFHack you can also type "die" to quickly exit without saving. So pick a good local area, and it'll take at most 16 attempts to locate the curious structure within that area. Each attempt goes quickly with the help of DFHack, so once prospect has found it, you can die real quick and customize your real embark for that spot.

*Spoiler: at the end of your prospect report it will say:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:39:22 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 04:38:56 am »

I thought all candy spires led to those? I haven't played fort mode in a long time.

Nah, it's entirely different thing to the Underworld, it's the sword in the stone that'll eat you when you pulls it out.

Solusphere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:51:08 am »

There's exactly one in each 16x16 'local' embark area. If you embark and then use DFHack's "prospect all" function, it'll tell you at the end if you have one*. With DFHack you can also type "die" to quickly exit without saving. So pick a good local area, and it'll take at most 16 attempts to locate the curious structure within that area. Each attempt goes quickly with the help of DFHack, so once prospect has found it, you can die real quick and customize your real embark for that spot.

Ah, awesome. Saw that on the wiki, but misunderstood what it meant. Thanks for that, that will help a lot!