Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saving my fortress  (Read 684 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Saving my fortress
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:11:10 am »

So... I took a break from DF for a while due to life being rather busy, and decided to come back with a new fortress, and new fortress layout.

Things were going well, and a couple of migrant waves in, I had a military of about 30 newbies, slowly training up, wearing full bronze armour and weaponry. I had pierced the caverns, which was my only supply of wood.

I get that lovely message about a forgotten beast with poisonous gas, a humanoid made from bronze (or some other metal). I quickly walled up the caverns and forgot about him.

Later, I get a message about ANOTHER forgotten beast. This was a giant worm of some kind... that could fly, with deadly blood. Somehow he got into my main stairwell from the caverns to the mining area, with which I managed to dispatch rather easily with my untrained troops.

Things went on alright, with only 2 dwarfs dead, and I get told of a 3rd forgotten beast coming along (so now I've got 2 again). This is a giant feathered lemur with deadly excretions... Lots of fun when he's in the water that I use for my well... however, I think I'm pretty safe from him coming into the fortress, so I ignore him.

perhaps 6 months after, I get an announcment that urist mcminer cancels dig, interrupted by forgotten beast. Thinking that it's the lemur, I send my full military in, just to be sure I kill it... It was the bronze humanoid...

Long story short, he single handedly obliterated my ENTIRE military, only laying a sinlge strike on one of them. I managed to completely wall him out of my fortress, accepting the losses.

So, I lost a shit ton of dwarves, and they all seem to be related to each other. As a result, I fear a pending tantrum spiral (my first if it gets out of hand). Only one has gone mad so far, but many are miserable... actually... there is one ecstatic dwarf. Apparently his whole family didn't get touched, and he didn't know any of the victims... He's got nothing but good thoughts :p

To add to this, I just discovered a vampire (ok, to be honest I was suspicious when he came in and I saw he was a great mason, and great speaking skills, as well as a few suspicious things in his personality). He's my best mason, andproducing a lot of stuff, so I think I'm going to accuse a no name hauler without family to be sure he stays alive... for now. Also, he's now the mayor... I guess I'll get sick of quivers sooner or later

So, my fortress isn't in a good state. My only defense is drawbridges, and everyone is in a bad way. I have a vampire on the loose to add to the troubles.

I have got my farmers working overtime producing the full variety of underground crops for both booze and food. I have beekeepers working just to add a little more variety to the food, to get as many happy thoughts as I can. Lavish meals are being prepared on repeat, and booze production is going full bore. The masons are working their asses off to make and engrave slabs for everyone dead to save a fortress of ghosts. I can't get their bodies because of the stupid metal forgotten beast (who is fully dented, but otherwise unharmed). The bedrooms are being upgraded as best I can, and I have a few just making friends. I think the only thing saving me is that they're breeding like rabbits! Babies popping out here, there, and everywhere, meaning happy mummy and daddy.

Is there anything else I can do to help save my fortress? A new wave of migrants just arrived, which means more mouths to feed, and more bedrooms to dig

Edit: confirmed he's a vampire by looking at the god he worships, where it says that he got cursed 40 years ago... found the god after looking at another suspicious immigrant with great in 2 doctor skills, and expert in 4 speech skills
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:15:25 am by Mimodo »
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Re: Saving my fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 01:31:01 am »

Don't bother accusing anyone. You don't _have_ to accuse anyone of a crime. The crime will simply be transferred to cold cases after long enough.

Aside from that, it seems like you're actually surviving. Keep going, and have your stone engravers smooth stone until they're decent at engraving and then have them engrave all sorts of happy images that will remind your dwarves of the many, many people that are now dead but inexplicably make them happy. Put statues up everywhere, put fine quality goods around. Brew lots of fine booze and lavish meals just as you're doing now, keep the food coming in, and make sure your prison is a very happy place in order to keep tantrumers who are arrested from getting any unhappier. Get bedrooms for everyone.

I have never actually suffered a tantrum spiral. I realize the danger, but I've always been very proactive in seeking to head off the risk of one, and as such I've never actually had it happen. In fact, boredom is what kills most of my forts. Perhaps I should play more dangerously.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 01:39:32 am »

I'm on the brink of my first now :p

So... put up shiny stuff? Like rose gold roads, lined with silver? Golden bridges? :p I like to put my shiny stuff to good use early on, and it is a nice healthy thought from them.

Sounds like I'm doing well so far though :D Only thing I'm not doing is engraving, but rather smoothing... I just don;t like how it looks engraved
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:25:09 am »

I'm on the brink of my first now :p

So... put up shiny stuff? Like rose gold roads, lined with silver? Golden bridges? :p I like to put my shiny stuff to good use early on, and it is a nice healthy thought from them.

Sounds like I'm doing well so far though :D Only thing I'm not doing is engraving, but rather smoothing... I just don;t like how it looks engraved

Road and bridges are decent in improving mood and room values, put good rooms up for dwarves' bedrooms and the best dining room you can put up. Having justice system on -might- help since they can restraint the worst ones if you have enough jail and chains for them. They also get very happy once they're released. That and if they goes berserk, you can lock the door and wait them out.

Other than being a bit inattentive to what you're trying to kill, you're doing alright :D

I personally never engraves things ( I tend to rely on block construct, which's not engravable ), relying on decorated ropes and statues that I personally picks out to represent what I want to be showcased.

Sealing up fortress' pretty much the best idea to have if you're having internal troubles :D

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 04:38:23 am »

Looks like I might be safe... Except that I can't access that adamantine...

Between migrants and another 3 babies, finally everyone is happy, and I even have a military training up :D the least happy dwarf is fine

At least I know I wasn't doing too much wrong to make up for the mistake

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 05:32:41 am »

You should make a dedicated living area (since he's your mayor) for your vampire, and a workshop for him as well. Set up a chute above him that dumps rocks near the shop, and place the lever in his room so he doesn't get pelted by stones when they come down.

Now set a minecart next to a pit like so: # = # .   (# track stop, = track, . open space)

Have him dump all the furniture he makes into the minecart, and push it in at regular intervals.

This should solve the issue of having the vampire posing a threat to your dwarves, and especially their happiness.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 06:15:01 am »

Burrows are a great way to control a vamp's hunger.  If you put a dwarf in a burrow, it wont do any job outside the burrow - that includes for vamps, the 'on break/I'm lying cause I'm going to feed from something unconscious' job.

If there's enough beds, then dwarves will only ever sleep where there's a bed, so if you wished you could paint your entire fortress, except for bedrooms, hospitals, and anywhere else you placed a bed, and your vamp will never again feed unless something starts knocking things out without killing them.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:37:57 am »

I designed my housing area to have each "room" consist of 5 beds, each spaced apart so they all get a full 3*3 space to themselves, plus slightly larger rooms for the nobles, of course (of which I have 2, one being said vampire). Add to this the fact that of my 69 (hehe) dwarves, there are 21 couples, it should greatly reduce the chance of having a vampire get away with a murder. I also have a door to each of my 8 bedrooms, just in case I catch him on "break", and have the opportunity to thwart his efforts, and mess with his head... obviously he's a little smarter than to jump in to just any old room, as he already got away with one feeding... I guess in the long run it doesn't really mean too much though, as I've already got a catacombs holding a good 50 or so dead.

Thinking I may vampirify my fortress, or at least the important ones... Can someone be so kind as to link me to a thread about the positives and negatives of a full vampire fortress please?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:49:10 am »

I designed my housing area to have each "room" consist of 5 beds, each spaced apart so they all get a full 3*3 space to themselves, plus slightly larger rooms for the nobles, of course (of which I have 2, one being said vampire). Add to this the fact that of my 69 (hehe) dwarves, there are 21 couples, it should greatly reduce the chance of having a vampire get away with a murder. I also have a door to each of my 8 bedrooms, just in case I catch him on "break", and have the opportunity to thwart his efforts, and mess with his head... obviously he's a little smarter than to jump in to just any old room, as he already got away with one feeding... I guess in the long run it doesn't really mean too much though, as I've already got a catacombs holding a good 50 or so dead.

Thinking I may vampirify my fortress, or at least the important ones... Can someone be so kind as to link me to a thread about the positives and negatives of a full vampire fortress please?

The negative's eventually vampires will sup on all of your living dwarves and slow down due to lack of drinks. Positive's, well, they don't need to eat, drink or sleep. And they're tougher than before. And immortal.

They won't sup on each other either!

( I don't have a thread, there was some back when vampirism first got out as a fad experiment )