Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lever forever -> linking to an object  (Read 482 times)

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
lever forever -> linking to an object
« on: November 11, 2012, 01:59:39 pm »

What can I do when, after 20 minutes, a mechanic still did not link a gear to a lever ?

It's also very near !!!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: lever forever -> linking to an object
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 02:10:28 pm »

A mechanism can be heavy, being a bulky thing made of stone, takes a while to haul it in. You could check to see if they're on break or in middle of doing something.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 02:14:49 pm »

The mechanic is already there ... "link a building to a trigger", he haves everything he needs.
I also tryed to debug this with DFhack, activating speedwarf 1 1, it still takes forever.

The guy is starving ... it's more than 30 minutes now ... This lever will surely answer "42" after activated.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:20:33 pm »

Patience, then!

Sounds like an inexperienced mechanic, they can take looong time to hook things up.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 03:47:28 pm »

Still there ... however you was right,
I lost my good mechanic lately, so this is only "competent in mechanics".

It's also a hard skill to raise.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 03:49:11 pm »

Still there ... however you was right,
I lost my good mechanic lately, so this is only "competent in mechanics".

It's also a hard skill to raise.

Not really - just make a lot of mechanisms. They make decent trade fodder.
This is a blank sig.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 03:54:08 pm »

I've always found Mechanic skill pretty easy to raise. You just need to keep the raw stone right outside the workshop, so that the mechanic spends as little time as possible weighed down by the stone.

"30 minutes" isn't a helpful description, as the amount of time passing in-game in those 30 minutes depends on time spent paused and the FPS when unpaused. I've also found that changing dwarf speed to 1 doesn't make them spend any less time attaching the mechanism to the lever. It does make them quicker at attaching the mechanism to the thing you're linking the lever to.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 04:16:14 pm »

1 hour now, it died of thristy. Isn't that a little to hard? it haves mechanics 8.

Maybe I should use mechanisms of lesser value, instead of the ones with high value ?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 04:17:54 pm »

Sounds to me more like the dwarf in question couldnt path to thier destination/booze pile. You been cutting stairs or ramps (or levering doors, bridages or floodgates) while waiting for the job to get done?
This is a blank sig.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 04:19:20 pm »

That's odd. Were they at the lever actively working on the job?

Value and quality don't matter at all for the speed of linking jobs. Only the weight.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 03:21:31 am »

Value don't matters, sounds more likely your dwarves couldn't path to drink. Dwarves are usually smart enough to just stop working and start running to drink.

I've never had a dwarf die even with pitchblende mechanism ( the heaviest rock I can think of and normally gets for it's color ). Though I've accidentally killed a few of them when they hooks up doors...

ed: To clarify the door thing, once a door's hooked up to mechanism ( hatches too ) they can't be opened unless the lever or what it's hooked up to activates. Dwarves don't always hooks them up intelligently.