Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does proximity have any bearing on what historical figures migrate?  (Read 555 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Recently, I retired a seasoned adventurer who just so happened to be a werebeast. This particular world has humans playable, and what I'm hoping to do is make a "werefortress" (using him and any of the 200 or so people he bit (FOR SCIENCE). The town he retired in was very close to a necromancer's tower, and I'm wondering if making a town just north of that place will increase the odds of him showing up. The fact that he's a complete and utter badass (comes with the territory of being an adventurer who survived to retirement in Dwarf Fortress) and has a secrets of life and death book in his inventory (I know I can't do anything with that in fortress mode but it's cool) make it even more favorable if the adventurer were to migrate.

Anyone have any experience in this field of SCIENCE? If not, I'll make sure to report back what I discover.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Does proximity have any bearing on what historical figures migrate?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:16:14 pm »

I'm embarking on a similar endeaver, currently. I intended to use many more retired adventurers of varying classes from my hevily-modded game, though.

I honestly don't know whether proximity has anything to do with the chances of a particular individual migrating to a fort. I would guess that if you retired them on a dwarven civ's site, then there's a good chance they're in the pool of potential historical figures who could migrate to fortresses built using that civ, regardless of proximity. After all, migrants always come from your home civ, even if you're at the opposite end of the world and have no physical access whatsoever to the home civ, or any other.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does proximity have any bearing on what historical figures migrate?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 09:07:55 am »

The best I can do to help is say that it appears to. From my experiences with retiring and abandoning, proximity seems to lead to a higher chance of migration.