Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: EDIT: Never mind, he wasn't a weretortise after all.  (Read 773 times)

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
EDIT: Never mind, he wasn't a weretortise after all.
« on: November 10, 2012, 04:51:35 pm »

During a short battle against a weretortise, a dwarven baby being carried by my bone carver took several minor, non-fatal wounds. I am almost certain that he, and a ranger, both of who I will shortly be quarantining, are now infected with weretortisism.

Is this is rare as I understand it to be, and if so, what should I do other than share the save file?

Edit: 23rd Felsite, 132
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:07:26 pm by Pyro627 »
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

Keep them sealed up and make a closed factory out of them? That's what I do with annoying dwarves, and I'd imagine werecreature works like regular dwarf except for monthly wereism :D

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, the ranger is actually dead, so the baby is the only one infected.

Sealing him up won't work that well because he's still being carried around by his uninfected mother.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile

"We've secretly replaced Urist McBonecarver's baby with a tortoise-like monstrosity. Let's see if she can tell the difference!"
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile

They can be useful, but quite risky. If your baby bites someone then it can spread and so on.
Unf.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You'll have to quarantine his mother with him. Give them a suite of rooms, separated by doors, with the door to the suite locked. Personally I would go for four rooms or so, where each one connects to both rooms on each side of it. When the baby turns, she will probably drop him and run, hopefully toward a door, and you can lock the door between them. Then you can let her out (if she hasn't been bitten) or keep her quarantined (if she has).

Incidentally, only bites will cause them to turn. Check the combat report to be sure they really were bites rather than scratches or punches or something.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You'll have to quarantine his mother with him. Give them a suite of rooms, separated by doors, with the door to the suite locked. Personally I would go for four rooms or so, where each one connects to both rooms on each side of it. When the baby turns, she will probably drop him and run, hopefully toward a door, and you can lock the door between them. Then you can let her out (if she hasn't been bitten) or keep her quarantined (if she has).

Incidentally, only bites will cause them to turn. Check the combat report to be sure they really were bites rather than scratches or punches or something.

Oh, that's a good idea. I'll have to try that.

Also, looking at the combat log, the child was never actually bitten, but after the event he was briefly flashing the icon for a werebeast, which seem suspicious to me.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EDIT: Never mind, he wasn't a weretortise after all.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 06:09:02 pm »

Okay, after several months of quarantine, I'm afraid that I can safely say that the baby is not, in fact, a tortise-like monstrosity. I am sorry for any confusion this may have caused. In the future, we will strive to prevent this kind of mix-up from happening again.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 06:13:54 pm »

Awww, no were-experiments

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 06:17:51 pm »

Nope, afraid not.

What's funny though was that, due to a scheduling mixup, the quarantine was actually lifted a day before the next full moon. Lucky he wasn't really infected.