Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins hijack/hide inside caravans  (Read 844 times)

LHLF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins hijack/hide inside caravans
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:13:51 am »

I am not a veteran in this game so I am not sure if someone has already suggested this before. I searched the forum but found nothing similar, so here it goes:

What if groups of goblins could hijack trading caravans, hided inside and forced the dwarves/humans to pretend nothing happened? Or maybe snatchers could hide inside the merchandise without even alarming the dwarves/humans conducting the caravan.

Doing this they could be taken inside your fortress easily and make a surprise attack/kidnapping, making your moats, bridges and fortifications useless. In the case of snatchers, maybe they could drop off the caravan even before it enters the depot and wait for an opportunity. Of course, for this to be possible, a remedy should also be available. Maybe the guards of the fortress, or even the squads, could have a new function, that is, to inspect the wagon/caravan before authorizing the wagon to enter. The hiding goblins would be spotted or not according to some ability that would have to be created (inspection, perhaps?). If the bridge would be risen every time a caravan arrives so that the inspection could be made safely outside would be left up to the player. This would be recommended because if the goblins were spotted, they would automatically leave their "hiding spots" and start attacking. If you did this with the bridge lowered.... well, you know what happens.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins hijack/hide inside caravans
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:16:57 am »

Easily defeated by some cage traps around the trade depot, except for the outgoing side :D

That said, it'd still be an interesting variation when politics and more complexity psychology gets into games.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:32:24 am »

Easily defeated by some cage traps around the trade depot, except for the outgoing side :D

That said, it'd still be an interesting variation when politics and more complexity psychology gets into games.

Cage traps are often considered overpowered and are due to be nerfed somehow in the future.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:01:22 am »

The game is currently hauling unempty cages to the empty cage stockpile, you know?

Often the offending items in these full cages are uniquely named corpses, maybe this bug could be a feature and be linked to that feign dead skill we talked about in another thread. 

Have the faking goblins, spring to life at some point.  These ones should prolly only wield large daggers, and no armor.  Armor clinks and clanks, afterall.

I like the idea, of Goblin's wearing beards and pretending to be half elfs.  Maybe when the Caravans get fixed, to roll over traps and Drawn drawbridges fixed to not interrupt Depot Access; the players will see something like along this line.  Cross Toes 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:56:47 pm »

I am not a veteran in this game so I am not sure if someone has already suggested this before. I searched the forum but found nothing similar, so here it goes:

What if groups of goblins could hijack trading caravans, hided inside and forced the dwarves/humans to pretend nothing happened? Or maybe snatchers could hide inside the merchandise without even alarming the dwarves/humans conducting the caravan.

Doing this they could be taken inside your fortress easily and make a surprise attack/kidnapping, making your moats, bridges and fortifications useless. In the case of snatchers, maybe they could drop off the caravan even before it enters the depot and wait for an opportunity. Of course, for this to be possible, a remedy should also be available. Maybe the guards of the fortress, or even the squads, could have a new function, that is, to inspect the wagon/caravan before authorizing the wagon to enter. The hiding goblins would be spotted or not according to some ability that would have to be created (inspection, perhaps?). If the bridge would be risen every time a caravan arrives so that the inspection could be made safely outside would be left up to the player. This would be recommended because if the goblins were spotted, they would automatically leave their "hiding spots" and start attacking. If you did this with the bridge lowered.... well, you know what happens.
This sounds like a good idea, if not overdone. Kobolds could also sneak in, hiding in barrels and bins.

Why would cage traps target creatures in wagons?

The game is currently hauling unempty cages to the empty cage stockpile, you know?

Often the offending items in these full cages are uniquely named corpses, maybe this bug could be a feature and be linked to that feign dead skill we talked about in another thread. 

Have the faking goblins, spring to life at some point.  These ones should prolly only wield large daggers, and no armor.  Armor clinks and clanks, afterall.

I like the idea, of Goblin's wearing beards and pretending to be half elfs.  Maybe when the Caravans get fixed, to roll over traps and Drawn drawbridges fixed to not interrupt Depot Access; the players will see something like along this line.  Cross Toes 
Okay...
First off, I think that goblins can pretty easily be told from goblin corpses; if nothing else, poke them with a sword and see if they bleed.
Anyways, "half-elves"?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:28:42 pm »

Seems like a cheep trick that would only ever work once. I would not mind if some goblins attempted to do it sometimes, but it should be a rare event, and as such, a low priority.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:08:08 am »

@King Mir, Yup.  I agree.  Limited occurrence.  Its sorta in the game already.  I seem to always get some kind of ambush somewhere, during a trader visit.

@GreatWyrmGold, The empty cage stockpile cannot tell the difference.  Its showing unempty cages in [34.11] Fortress Mode right now, right up in there, that contain.. well, pieces of something.  And that means, its NOT empty.  That unempty cage bug poses a particular awful kind of confusion for the player, with Tower neighbors(Secrets ON) Fortress mode play.  I don't think the miasma from this bug stays in the cage either, where it should obviously stay.  Assuming, like you do, GreatWyrmGold, that a dwarf can poke it and tell, he should also be able to toss a tarp over it.  Or drape a flag over it, like a dispatched soldier.  Until a trapper can arrive an open the confounded locking device.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 04:17:55 am »

Why would cage traps target creatures in wagons?

Not within the wagon, but after they springs out, I used to have a lot of traps around trade depots because of ambushes issues before I learnt to manage military and better defense planning. Probably will lose the broker, but hey, put another guy up for it.

It would be a big surprise for unprepared players, but rather easy to prepare against, even without military force. I still think it'd be interesting in context of greater psychological and tactical effects. After all, if you can send military out, what's stopping them from doing an Trojan Horse on the guys not ready for it? :D

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 05:51:05 am »

after all, there can be goblins dressed lie dorfs with fake beards that will come to your fort with migrants wave. When get access to your weapon stockpile they will rebel and slaughter your fort from inside. That'll be fun.
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

LHLF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 06:50:19 am »

after all, there can be goblins dressed lie dorfs with fake beards that will come to your fort with migrants wave. When get access to your weapon stockpile they will rebel and slaughter your fort from inside. That'll be fun.

I like this too! Although it is a little more far-fetched to imagine dwarves not identifying goblins with beards, the in-game results would certainly be fun. It would be like vampires, but much more deadly and hard to control. Maybe the goblin can kill people inside the fortress and, if not seen, his icon would still be a dwarf icon, making it harder to find.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 01:53:14 pm »

To ease the difficulty level back some, the pretend dwarfs could maintain their REAL names.  This would aid the player in identifying them, and somewhat urge the player to learn dwarf lingo. 

Maybe allow a completely new species to do this.. Like a hobbit, or a halfling invasion.

The real problem in this, is the very real risk of a loyalty cascade if there just happened to be a hairless dwarf walking around, and the captain of the guard, accidentally tugged at his fake beard.  Oops! 

Doubt he'd like his beard tugged anymore than an angry goat.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 08:01:13 pm »

Well, there's something everyone's missed due to the image of a dwarf pointing out a shifty-looking goblin in a bad dwarf costume to a friend, who shrugs and chugs some wine.

Goblins kidnap children.

They might send dwarven saboteurs.

Simple.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.