Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Termite-men mounds that adventurers use to reach HFS/ !!spoiler!!  (Read 893 times)

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure if this is possible but,

I would like for a way for the Adventurer Mode to reach the Caverns and Sword of !!Spoils!! without having to play Fortress Mode.

My suggestion is to model them on termite nests, they are built above ground, and are tunneled underground also. They contain air cycle and water sources.

Im pretty sure the creatures are already done by someone. The castes are [Reproducer] [Worker] [Soldier], Reproducers are made of [Queen] and [King]. Also the Soldier with pincers could have a secondary soldier the [Tar Baby] modeled on Globitermes sulphureus, which EXPLODES ITS OWN HEAD AS A !!WEAPON!! A [Worker] can molt into a [Nymph] or [Soldier]. [Nymph] become winged [Alates].

The termite nests could be randomly placed nests extending upwards as human capitals do, with a subterranean portion leading to the caverns.

Sorry if this has been suggested before,
:) Snake_Eyes

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Termite-men mounds that adventurers use to reach HFS/ !!spoiler!!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:42:57 am »

You can access the cavern by caves.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 08:12:44 am »

You can access the cavern by caves.

Oh thank you very much Sheb! I was not told this in the Adventure Mode board.

By caves do you mean "Lairs" cause I have found only very small Lairs and Caves so far, is there something I should be looking for to find them?

(Also sorry for the suggestion, I guess it is moot now) :(

Tvym,

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 09:36:01 am »

Since the next version is also adding sites for all the civs, including computer genned fortresses there'll soon be even easier access through that as well ^^

Think goblin sites would also have access to the caverns if you're feeling for a bit more challenge ;P

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:07:12 am »

Thanks Manveru Taurënér,

I shall start afresh and look for goblin sites, any suggestions on how I might go about this what to look for on the map or questions to ask?

Also I was thinking about different civilizations having different buildings, and I would like to see a community of Bee-men or Mushroom-men that make mushroom-ring patterns.

Like in The Game of Life where it was like a living organism, but with the seasons the mud walls were rearranged in concentric circles or varying diameter. I am sure the mathematics behind it would be rather simple compared to a lot of the other RNG.

So they would start with a central mud and stone (maybe plant) clan-house, and when the population increased it would be added to, and then when the numbers had increased again the central building would be disassembled to make a ring of smaller houses. Successive generations would make a concentric circle with low density or a beehive with high density. They could even be in Z-level being little towers or pyramids.

Just something I was thinking about with the talk of multi-tile trees.

Tyvm,

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:41:08 am »

Lairs and caverns are different thing. Caverns are quite rare with the standard World gen settings, but you can change the number of them
and make marked in the map.

Note that even after you find a cavern, reaching the HFS is very time consuming. You need to find two downward passages to reach
the third layer, and the a circus tent.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:25:54 pm »

Ah okay, well Ill have to work out how to do this then tyvm Broken.

Well maybe the suggestion is not so bad then for people that want a a game without micromanagement and want pure rouge-like ascii action.

The Termite-men or other random burrowers could be a world-gen feature like Disturbances or Necromancers, that you could include them as another factional civilization within the world, that fills the role of method of communicating to the HFS and !!spoils!!

Phraint/ Thrikeen/ Termite-men also have the distinction that they could build civilizations differently to the other diggers like dorf and gobbo mines.

Tyvm,

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 11:01:05 am »

why don't you just put

Tvym,

in your signature? You can do that in PROFILE at the top.

Fuck you and everything you stand for
:P Robosaur
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:49:51 pm »

Um...

Digging in Adventure Mode is planned. So is a procedural method for generating animalpeople (I think), so you could have animalpeople adventurers digging. Eventually.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.