Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress Defense in the Upcoming Versions  (Read 2141 times)

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Defense in the Upcoming Versions
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 11:28:17 pm »

I was thinking of this.  Since a jump requires a running start, one could have a 1 tile chasm with walls every other space, staggered on two sides.

Code: [Select]
o,o,o,o,o
----------
,o,o,o,o,
[code]
Where o = wall, , =empty , -=gap

And thus you have what should amount to an uncross able gap.  Heights and distances need to de determined.

If I understood the October 16th devlog correctly, creatures will be able to catch onto surfaces in mid-air, which would allow an invader to jump across the small gap (possibly even without much of a running start) and climb along the opposite side. So I don't think this would work.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 09:47:29 am »

Surely you can use exactly the same defenses you already have, assuming you normally build to defend against flying building destroyers with trapavoid.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:47 am »

I already design against Construction-destroyers (currently mythical) with limited sapper capabilities (ditto).  Extending that to jumpers and climbers of that ilk shouldn't be too hard, at least with sufficient mitigation to mobilise counter-forces towards any point of imminent breach (i.e. training and not patrolling at all, until actually required).

As for flyers, I currently use restrictions of the ground routes, in my plans, of the kind that flyers use as the 'cue' to fly over the obstacles the ground route actually goes round, so probably needs a bit more work for full-on flying protection (it's been ages since I've even fully roofed over everything), and of course that would need buffing up, but even so I'm confident I can deal with the newer capabilities as they arise.

Unless enemies stop taking the 'easiest' route or heading for the 'weakest' point of defence, that I might deliberately leave open to them, and actually work out (even after several waves) the consequences of that approach and try other methods that I've not so easily planned for the further protection of/counter-attack from.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 10:51:21 am »

Making a pit that is too wide to jump across at the top, and doing that ledge design to keep them from climbing up should be fine.  Goblin catapult that can destroy walls will suck, but if they destroy your outer drawbridge it won't grant them access into the fort.

If we are talking pastures, I don't think they should include fortifications at ground level so the animals stay alive.
Worst case, just use classic castle design for walls to prevent climbing:
(side view)
Code: [Select]
(left is inside, right is outside)
  ╬
 ╔╝
 ║
 ║
═╩══  (empty space= dry moat) ═══

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 12:14:36 pm »

Re: Catapults, if physics is sufficiently correct and any "new mining" methodology allows accumulation/use of stone rubble, a solid outer and inner wall with packed aggregate filling the central cavity might be sufficient to proof against such types of impact damage.  Either fully absorbing the concussive element of the shot or (if the outer layer breaks) letting the rubble fill the gap for the duration.

(Although enough hits will either empty the rubble or let enough rubble fall out that it creates a ramp unto the breach ("once more, to fill with Goblin dead!"), so I'd suggest compartmentalising the curtain wall to avoid that outcome and allow for easy maintenance.)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 04:17:28 pm »

(Kinda-Off-Topic: Think we'll have the next version by Christmas at this rate? If so will we call that version Goblinite or Goblin Clause or some such reference?)
Probably just 37.01 or whatever the first number turns out to be.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]