Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksman frozen in time?  (Read 450 times)

cAPSLOCK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksman frozen in time?
« on: November 12, 2012, 01:24:14 am »

Well, ain't this a surprise. Marksdwarf trouble!

My dwarfs have all their bolts equipped, crossbows as well. I have an archery range set up, with each separate target set up and designated individually. They are all underground and there is PLENTY of space for firing. I also have an ammunition stockpile set up.

What's weird is, when I set my marksdwarfs to active/training, they just stand in place, doing nothing at all. They have "going to archery practice" set as their task, but nothing happens. They simply stand there, motionless.

However, when I take turn them to inactive, they immediately go to archery practice, shoot their 25 wooden bolts, and then return to their civilian lives. So it seems they are perfectly capably of performing the practice; they just don't do it when assigned. Does anyone else have this problem? How would I go about fixing it?
The flying -Wooden Bolt- strikes the Steel Clad Adventurer in the right foot, tearing the muscle and chipping the bone!

The Steel Clad Adventurer gives into pain.

The cAPSLOCK has become enraged!

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Marksman frozen in time?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 02:10:50 am »

I don't know if that's a bug, but this happened to me also. Always set up your marksdwarves to no "No scheduled order" and disable all labors for them. They will train at the archery range,

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:29 am »

I don't know if that's a bug, but this happened to me also when I told them to be active/training. Always set up your marksdwarves to no "No scheduled order" and disable all labors for them. They will train at the archery range.

cAPSLOCK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:14:42 am »

Well, I wish you had replied earlier, haha. In the time I spent trying to fix the problem I got ambushed and killed.  :(
The flying -Wooden Bolt- strikes the Steel Clad Adventurer in the right foot, tearing the muscle and chipping the bone!

The Steel Clad Adventurer gives into pain.

The cAPSLOCK has become enraged!

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 02:20:24 am »

Well, I wish you had replied earlier, haha. In the time I spent trying to fix the problem I got ambushed and killed.  :(

Happens to the best of us. Next time, embark with a proficient marksdwarf/proficient teacher. He will train recruits without using bolts.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 08:37:30 am »

A great way to train marksdwarves is to make them shoot at benign wildlife. They will become elite in no time.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kellnaved

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:16:14 pm »

I normally drop a few goblins in a 1x1 Dangerroom and train them to Legendary Doger and Blocker (if they have shields) in 1-2 months then drop them in a pit and station a group of dabbling marksdwarf next to them. Within 2-3 months the marksdwarf will be legendary as it is nearly impossible for them to hit the "elite" goblins.