Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves blocking their own constructions  (Read 1248 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves blocking their own constructions
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:17:54 pm »

I tried, but my search-fu is weak.

Is there a solution for dwarves blocking their own constructions?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves blocking their own constructions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 02:20:10 pm »

Delete the construction and redesignate it.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 02:24:14 pm »

Delete the construction and redesignate it.
This. Seems like you sometimes have to do it a couple of times, but they'll get it done eventually.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »

forbitten items on that spot?

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 02:34:45 pm »

It's a second story wall I am having trouble with. Even when I surround the spot with stairs or floors Urist McBlocksherself stands on the tile

fwf
fwf
fwf
fwf
fwf

or

sws
sws
sws
sws
sws

I've cancelled(numerous times).
I've used autodump to clear the area(and un-forbidden the block).
I've deconstructed the entire wall and started again(which results in a new spot getting blocked).

I'll try cancelling and re-designating a few more times...
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:37:02 pm »

I've seen another solution being suggested that worked for others, deconstruct one of the walls next to where you want to build the interrupted wall and try again.

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 03:02:28 pm »

If it is only second story walls then the solution is to build the wall one piece at a time I think.

If the last piece is in the middle then they have no way of getting down.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:02:41 pm »

designate zones with d-o, make the area you don't want them to stand restricted and the ones you do high traffic. This redefines the distance values for the tiles so restricted counts as 25 times further away and high traffic as 5 times closer. They should automatically pick the high traffic area.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:36:56 pm »

Dwarves prefer to stand on a flat surface to build a construction. With your design of stairs flanking the wall, the dwarf looks around and sees a bunch of stairs to stand on, and a floor. "Oh, a floor to stand on while I work! Excellent!" he thinks, but that floor is where you designated the wall, so...

Try building a scaffolding of floors around the inside of the wall, so the builders have somewhere to stand other than stairs or ramps.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 10:51:37 pm »

The knew pathing algorithms make dwarves build from the tile they aproached the construction.

Code: [Select]
++++++
+CB+D+
++++++

+ = floor
C = construction (wall, floor, fortification, etc.)
D = dorf

The dwarf will try to build from tile B. This is fone usually, but look at the following:

Code: [Select]
Level 1
+++
+C+

Level 2
+R+
+D+

W = wall
R = ramp
Same as above

In this case, the dwarf will walk up the ramp and occupy the tile in which he is trying to construct something, thus causing a cancelation.

Try to block his path, maybe put some intervening walls in his way, anything to make him approach the tile from a different direction. The pathing tools in the designations menu might work too, but it's more round about and less reliable than simply putting a wall in the way. I ran into a thread about this a while back; I had the same troubles, but putting things in his way, and understanding that the problem is caused by where the dorf comes from makes it fairly simple to fix.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:50:18 am »

Thank you very much.

no-body

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 04:16:14 am »

Hi, here is a workaround to the problem: before constructing walls, set planned construction zone as restricted traffic area (d-o), increase traffic cost to 100. Works perfectly for me.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 06:44:56 am »

I just came on here to search for this exact problem. I'm building a wall on the opposite side of a channel. There's flat ground beyond that, and I tried hauling the stone blocks to a pile beyond the wall in the hope that they'll stay on that side once they get to the building site, but no. I'll try restricting traffic, but this is way more fiddly than it should be. I miss the old building AI. It was dumb, but it was predictable.