Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring accident training wreslting?  (Read 1360 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Sparring accident training wreslting?
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:52:24 am »

One of my wrestler trainees just went flying across a room, and the only combat reports show him slamming into something. The sparring log shows that a marksdwarf (wrestler trainee), threw him.

I thought sparring was "safe".

Here's the combat log:

The militia commander stands up.
The Marksdwarf throws The militia commander by the left ear with The Marksdwarf's left lower arm!
The militia commander's left upper arm skids along the ground, shattering the bone through the (alpaca leather cloak)!
The militia commander slams into an obstacle!
The militia commander is no longer stunned.
The militia commander gives in to pain.
The militia commander falls over.
The militia commander regains consciousness.
The militia commander falls over.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring accident training wreslting?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:27:02 am »

Wrestling makes use of the new falling mechanics and such, so basically he got thrown and landed at an awkward angle, causing hime to brake his arm between the force of the throw and likely all his weight falling  on it.

On an unrelated note, you died in my alternate history of Spearbreakers. Got injured in a building accident, bled to death because demons kept scaring away the rescue crew.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:52:12 am »

Well, he's in the hospital and everything is treated expect he's"Needs Immoblization" despite having splits ...

Might need to make a cast ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 03:04:33 pm »

i think "needs imobilization" refers to requiring a traction bench in the hospital...not really sure though
RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 03:12:04 pm »

No, if traction is required, it specifically says so.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:05:28 am »

My commander and recruit were assigned to a 2member squad at the 4rd month i think. i had embarked with teacher skills and what not.Fresh Recruits too were sparring next to them and i had to still forge some weapons for them. Suddenly i get the message my commander has just died!!what the hell...after i checked the log i saw that a single recruit without a weapon was sparring with another. He manage to throw him at the ground, The thrown recruit skid along ground and collided with another squad member bruising his guts. The Urist Mcbruisedguts collided with my commander, and my poor commander skid along the ground so bad that it bruised his brain..!!the end of my commander...that will teach me to make sure my sparrers HAVE WEAPONS ALL THE TIME.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:15:30 am »

i think "needs imobilization" refers to requiring a traction bench in the hospital...not really sure though

A dwarf that needs immobilization just needs to lie still for a long time.
Most of the time, dwarves will eventually heal up.
But it seems bugged at times, in that after being fully healed, a dwarf still keeps lying with the immobilization thing.
If the only thing your dwarf still needs is immobilization you can deconstruct the piece of furniture they are lying on, and they will be on their way. It is not advisable to do this with dwarves who have lost the ability to grasp on both hands, or who have lost the ability to walk.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:43:41 pm »

It is not advisable to do this with dwarves who have lost the ability to grasp on both hands, or who have lost the ability to walk.

Maybe someone can request wheelchairs and false mechanical arms and hope that toady adds them in a few years.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Drapestar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:12:49 pm »

if they spar in armour they should be fine. i've had a dwarf die from being flipped on to his head and broke his neck when they were not wearing armour. since putting on armour i've had no problems. the armour deflects the blows from ground/wall they hit.
1) kill parents
2) rename batman
3) if the child survives until maturity, make him a militia captain

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 07:17:06 pm »

if they spar in armour they should be fine. i've had a dwarf die from being flipped on to his head and broke his neck when they were not wearing armour. since putting on armour i've had no problems. the armour deflects the blows from ground/wall they hit.

Usually. sometimes arms/writsts or legs will be broken even with some sparring armor.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 12:54:42 am »

It is not advisable to do this with dwarves who have lost the ability to grasp on both hands, or who have lost the ability to walk.

Maybe someone can request wheelchairs and false mechanical arms and hope that toady adds them in a few years.
Not going to happen for a while, given that he'll have to make it weaponization proof, or we'd destroy everything with our army of iron soldiers.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now