Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarven Maturation: Childcare, Education, and Apprenticeship  (Read 6027 times)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Maturation: Childcare, Education, and Apprenticeship
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 01:44:49 pm »

Bloat 32 is kinda vague, and misses a lot of the scope of this suggestion.  I think it's worth discussing the implications of master-apprentice relationships, not to mention the dwarven childcare and education aspects which are entirely absent from that bloat.

I agree.  I'm not sure I want fort mode to have complex apprentice/master interactions; just enough to make the player's management of useless fish cleaners easier.  Apprentice duties, apart from actually carrying out the jobs, could be dedicated hauling (materials and tools), relaying information between managers, guilds, and their master.  Apprentice miners, choppers, and herb gatherers would be a little weird.  Perhaps a miner's guild could simply manage the delegation of miners to more valuable ores/jewels/stones.  Herb gathering is a little more believable, though maybe that should be a skill that is trained up as an apprentice for the relevant profession (brewing, alchemy, etc).

In adventure mode, playing as an apprentice would be cool.  You shouldn't be able to just pick up the game as a smith and start banging out plate armor and swords; it should take some time to gain the necessary skills, and a number of go-fer quests could be naturally implemented this way.  Plus, you could find new masters, and raise your skills to even greater values, obtain your own apprentices and workshops, hire merchants and guards.  Perhaps 'moods' could be brought on by prayer (and requisite talent) that would give you some sort of insight once you completed the divine quest.  (I don't want madness to be a risk; that would be beyond frustrating.)  It would make for a very cool adventurer that isn't actually focused on beating the biggest baddest monster ever.  Note that this would require an expansion, for at least adventure mode, of all skills.  (Any Harvest Moon fans here?  I'd love to be able to play a farmer.  We need pastoral communities, for sure.)
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Tlaon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 03:00:59 pm »

Apprentices as haulers seems like a very functional system, I like it.  I think an apprentice miner makes sense in the context of dwarven societies, where mining is an art, and the difference between a legendary miner and a competent miner is huge.

Shaolin ToFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 06:41:23 am »

Schools as we know them (a classroom with a teacher in front, available to all) are, as far as I know, a pretty modern thing, industrial revolution-ish. Private tutoring seems like something mainly available to the 'upper class' (nobles, rich merchants and the likes) in medieval times.
Most peasants would just learn a job by watching/helping their parents or other family members do their job.

I like the idea of apprenticeship very much, however, not as something micromanageble. It would be more in the spirit of the game if dwarves of a high skill level would take an apprentice at will, probably a young dwarf he liked, with similar material preferences. Also, the apprentice might prove horrible at the skill, resulting in severance of the apprenticeship and a bad thought, while being taken in as apprentice and getting the blessing from the master to work independently would give a good thought.

Nurseries would be nice too. I suppose they would be activity zones taking containers for toys. Parents would drop their child, creating the job "take care of babies", which could lead to fun if the only dwarf with childcare is attending a party..
You have struck microcline!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 11:12:58 am »

Schools as we know them (a classroom with a teacher in front, available to all) are, as far as I know, a pretty modern thing, industrial revolution-ish. Private tutoring seems like something mainly available to the 'upper class' (nobles, rich merchants and the likes) in medieval times.
Most peasants would just learn a job by watching/helping their parents or other family members do their job.

I like the idea of apprenticeship very much, however, not as something micromanageble. It would be more in the spirit of the game if dwarves of a high skill level would take an apprentice at will, probably a young dwarf he liked, with similar material preferences. Also, the apprentice might prove horrible at the skill, resulting in severance of the apprenticeship and a bad thought, while being taken in as apprentice and getting the blessing from the master to work independently would give a good thought.

Nurseries would be nice too. I suppose they would be activity zones taking containers for toys. Parents would drop their child, creating the job "take care of babies", which could lead to fun if the only dwarf with childcare is attending a party..

Wasted effort son. The spambot necroed a threat.
Pages: 1 2 [3]