Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What a usefully useless bunch of immigrants...  (Read 634 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
What a usefully useless bunch of immigrants...
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:09:11 pm »

I'm doing a challenge that involves unlocking various industries as you learn the secrets of each one from the dwarven caravan that has recently discovered your undeveloped colony, and due to the troubles that moods can cause I've been limiting the population to the first two waves so I don't have to deal with them.

Naturally the RNG decides that this time, it would really like me to have 20 adults before the first year is out, and between the clearcutting and opening the caverns I'm probably in mood territory. Damn! But what's this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wow, that's a lot of glorified peasants. On the plus side, I only need 16 Carpentry or Bowyer jobs before only two dwarves are guaranteed to fail their moods, and one of those can be dealt with by an enforced career change.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What a usefully useless bunch of immigrants...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:57:17 pm »

Heh, yeah, I've got seven industries under my belt now (still no metalworking or mechanics, confound it!) and I'm learning that reassigning dwarves to whatever you happen to need is crucial. And I don't think I've ever been so happy to see a master glassworker show up.