Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Commissioned carvings?  (Read 753 times)

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
Commissioned carvings?
« on: November 11, 2012, 12:53:07 pm »

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I couldn't seem to find anything similar.
I was thinking, what if you could do a single tile carving designation, in which you could designate what sort of thing was to be carved?
So, you could search through a list of characters, animals, nouns, or events, and hit enter on one or so options as you actually wanted carved. I'm sick of carvings of lungfish and rope reeds, and a labouring hyena.
Thoughts/desire for clarification?
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: Commissioned carvings?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 04:45:01 pm »

hyenas labouring?
I can't even get them to work as seeing eye hyenas! (Seeing Eyenas?)
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:46:15 pm »

+1
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:49:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure this has been planned and know it's been suggested before, typically as part of a more general suggestion. That said, it's a good idea.

And I have never seen pictures of anything but civ-building creatures laboring. Usually dwarves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:55:51 am »

This is just one hyena, it has a name that I've forgotten. Apparently this hyena founded dwarven civilisation.

No. Me neither.
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:07:13 am »

I rarely bothers with engraving, preferring statues and decorated ropes in constructed rooms.

But I think that this idea could be expanded to those, so it would be useful all around!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 06:11:15 am »

If dwarves engrave a historical figure settling in chosen place of residence, they display the said figure as "labouring", so if a hyena had ever settled in your otherwise unremarkable steppe after eating a chicken or two, you're going to have pretty much of it labouring.
I guess that has to do with dwarves always of settling somewhere as of digging their rooms there first.