Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tougher exoskeletons, and other things  (Read 1205 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tougher exoskeletons, and other things
« on: October 28, 2012, 07:01:34 am »

I've recently been reading Neal Asher's Spatterjay trilogy, and as soon as I say the mention of Molly Carp, I knew I had to make a make a Dwarf Fortress mod based on it.

However, I've run into a couple of problems with some of my creatures.

Firstly, my glisters (giant amphibious lobsters) seem to be far too fragile.  I based them originally on the (giant) crab template.  Would changing [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CHITIN:FAT:MUSCLE] to [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:SHELL:FAT:MUSCLE] give them exoskeletons made of shell rather than chitin (and thereby make them tougher)?

Secondly, my hammer whelks aren't working.

I've given them the following body plan (I based the raws on snails):
[BODY:BASIC_1PARTBODY:BASIC_HEAD:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:MOUTH:SHELL:2EYESTALKS:BEAK:FOOT_HAMMER]
And the following attacks:
   [ATTACK:BITE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:BEAK]
      [ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
      [ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
      [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
      [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
      [ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
   [ATTACK:HAMMER:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:FOOT_HAMMER]
      [ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
      [ATTACK_VERB:hammer:hammers]
      [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
      [ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]

And put this in the body_default.txt:
[BODY:FOOT_HAMMER]
   [BP:FOOT_HAMMER:hammer foot:hammer feet][CON:BODY][CATEGORY:FOOT_HAMMER]
      [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:120]

But when I create them in the arna, they don't have their hammer (and can't make a hammer attack).

Can anyone see what is wrong with it?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:30:45 am by Iapetus »
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Tougher exoskeletons, and other things
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:05:40 pm »

You want UB, not BODY.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:33:10 pm »

Yeah, changing that to CON:BODY should work. Also shells are not that sturdy too, you may want to make a special chitin material for your creature, as well as add ATTACK_VELOCITY_MULTIPLIER to your attack.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 03:27:57 pm »

You want UB, not BODY.

Do you mean:
[BODY:FOOT_HAMMER]
   [BP:FOOT_HAMMER:hammer foot:hammer feet][CON:UB][CATEGORY:FOOT_HAMMER]
      [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:120]

Okay, I tried that, and my whelks now have a hammer they can attack with.  Thanks.

Unfortnately, now all attacks by/against my hammer whelks just pass through their target.  I gather from searching the forums that this is due to a raw error causing them to not be made of any material, but I can't see where my error is.  (Previously they were able to make bite attacks).

Can anyone see what is wrong?  Here are the full raws:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit#2:
Ah, I see what I've done - I accidently deleted the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:MOLLUSC_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE] from it.

However, going through the material raws, I see that the mollusc body plan uses ARG1 (in this case, skin) for the beak and hoof material.  (Squid and octopus actually use the vertebrate plan with ARG4:CHITIN for beak material.  I'll have to use that for all my whelks, unless I want them gumming their prey to death.  (That may explain why my size 125000000000 Whelkus Titanicus got beaten to death by 5 unarmed dwarves).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:30:29 pm by Iapetus »
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:19:20 pm »

That, and that size is too big, so I think it's not parsed correctly. I think DF may have a limit on size, or on size effects in formulas to avoid buffer overflow in calculations.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 05:32:28 am »

Ah, right.  Do you know what the size limit is?  (And I've just realised I massively over-inflated it - that is the size in cubic mm, on cubic cm!)

Incidently, while going through the body-part raws, I noticed that generic teeth are attached to the head, rather than the mouth.  Is this the reason you can grab people by the back teeth and throw them around, and would attaching them to the mouth fix this (or break something else)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 04:32:12 pm »

Ah, right.  Do you know what the size limit is?  (And I've just realised I massively over-inflated it - that is the size in cubic mm, on cubic cm!)

Incidently, while going through the body-part raws, I noticed that generic teeth are attached to the head, rather than the mouth.  Is this the reason you can grab people by the back teeth and throw them around, and would attaching them to the mouth fix this (or break something else)?

The maximum is probably 2^32-1 (~4,200,000,000; you won't need much more than that) or (2^32)/2-1, I think. That's my safe max, at least.