Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Free stuff!  (Read 742 times)

bobboy555

• Bay Watcher
  • A man who needs no introduction.
    • View Profile
    • Wikipedia
Free stuff!
« on: November 02, 2012, 01:07:32 pm »

So, I was busy mining out a vein of bituminous coal when an elven caravan arrives. A few seconds later my game locks up and drops to 20 or so FPS. I check the units screen and it seems all of my dwarves who aren't busy, doctors, or in the military are hauling to the hospital. Odd. I look back at the meeting zone and all the dwarves have run off towards the elven caravan. They return to the hospital with a whole buttload of cloth. And they weren't done yet. When the caravan arrived they were still taking cloth from it. I hadn't traded anything, I just got a whole tonne of cloth free. I'm running DF with Masterwork, in case this helps identify the bug, if it is a bug at all.
So, yeah, a stack of 2000 copper coins covered in vile ash that makes you vomit blood to death is my signature weapon.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free stuff!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 01:11:19 pm »

Known bug. Hospital zones do not respect ownership or stockpile settings of cloth or other medical items. Therefore, people will take them to the hospital, even if it means stealing it right from the caravan. Or the craftsdwarf workshop responsible for adamantine thread extraction.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 01:18:55 pm »

I could have sworn this was fixed.

Well, apparently not.  I think a typical workaround to this and similar hospital bugs is to use hospital stockpiles instead of putting coffers in them.  The capacity of the stockpile is respected properly, and dwarves will still use the contents properly.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 01:44:14 pm »

I've found that it only overstocks up to a certain amount. With micromanagement you can prevent cloth theft.
When I designate my hospital, I set all stock to zero at first. Then I build 2 chests, and order a few threads to be stocked. Usually about 5 times as much is stored, then it stops. When it stops, I build 2 more chests, and order some cloth to be stored. The same as with threads, it overstocks a bit, then stops. Note that no more threads are being brought, only cloth.
I repeat these steps for all hospital items, and end up with a hospital stocked with all needed items, and no more new 'bring item to hospital' jobs being generated. This means, no theft either.

I haven't noticed any hospital hoarding after a patient or two were treated.

I do think, that if ever stock levels of any particular item fall below the set treshold, hoarding will begin again. So, if you have a lot of dwarves in the hospital, you could reduce all needed items to zero again, and restock via the method described above, after the patients have been treated.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shash The Stampede

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Typhoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:36:28 pm »

I view this as more of a feature than a bug. I wish they'd steal other stuff based on what the fort needs.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »

It's a bug. You can do it normally which would make the traders eventually leave, however this behaviour does not trigger a reaction.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 03:21:15 pm »

afaik someone mentioned the reason a few days (month? years?) back:
when you build a coffer in your hospital, ALL dwarves see "hey, the hospital is empty, let's fill it" and grab cloth/thread/whatnot to fill it. So you get 1 cloth/thread/whatever per dwarf in your hospital, until the limit is met or the chest is full.
Solution for toady would be to only allow 1 "fill hospital coffer/chest" job or for us ordinary people the solution presented by martinuzz is the best