Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wielding backpacks?  (Read 429 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Wielding backpacks?
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:47:27 am »

Is there any way to make dwarves equip weird items like backpacks and metal boots as weapons in the current version?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Wielding backpacks?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:48:15 am »

Intentionally? Not to my knowledge.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:56:57 am »

But is there any way to, at all? For example, if I locked a dwarf in a room with a bunch of backpacks and socks, let them starve to the point of hunting for vermin, would the tantrums somehow get them to equip these weapons? And after they have, how would I stop them from putting the weapons away again?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 07:19:44 pm »

Not that i know of.

Why would you want to, anyway?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 07:47:19 pm »

The only 'way' I have seen is fairly random and likely to be very brief.

Have one or more dwarves wrestling with some enemy who has the equipment you hope to become weilded by your dwarves (not sure if wrestle-sparring a properly equipped friend could substitute).

Hope like heck that the dwarf grabs that object and ends up taking it away from the target, and then don't give that dwarf ANY reason to ever drop it.

I've only actually seen this work with monster types (I think dwarves may have many more checks that ensure that the grasping bits don't keep grasping 'the wrong things') but I know of titans ripping clothing off of dwarves and then continuing to fight using that clothing, and once only, I got to watch a marvelous and very prized tame giant desert scorpion (had been brought by the elves) use a pincher to take a kobold's large dagger away from it and the arachnid proceeded to carry and use that dagger for the rest of the fight and for the next several months.  In the middle of a later fight it finally dropped the dagger and went back to using its pincher normally, for no triggering reason I could determine.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:14:42 pm »

Dwarf Fortress?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:39:48 am »

Not that i know of.

Deathsmiths.

Thanks for the help, I'll try experimenting with wrestlers some time.