Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Emergency Training Brigade  (Read 666 times)

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
  • ahh, its raining goblin blood.
    • View Profile
Emergency Training Brigade
« on: October 27, 2012, 06:47:11 pm »

Hi, im a returning DF player... and i just still love it. so i ganna ask a few questions.

1.Dose training Soldiers still hard as befor... or easier now with some new mechanic.

2.Is it worth it to turn everyone in the fort to a soldier just to make them do something in stead of idle... and in case of emergancy

3.What animal is best to bread for leather, bones, meat, ect for least amt of grass required

4.Is steel worth it if you know you will get the flux stone soon

Last time i played was befor minecraft... iirc so yea.
ahh, its raining goblin blood everwere

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Training Brigade
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:57:14 pm »

O ya.. and how dangerous is swimming in the Ocean? because only Fortress is across this Ocean.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 07:20:05 pm »

1. Not really. Probably. What version did you last play in?

2. Often, yes.

3. Pigs, turkeys, and other non-grazers.

4. Yes, definitely.

5. Swimming by whom? Adventurers should be fine if they don't drown, not much else swims.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:32:23 pm »

Leaving soldiers to train on their own is a little finicky, and we're still not entirely sure if it's bugged or we're just not doing it right.

Turning your idlers into soldiers isn't necessarily a bad idea, but remember that it takes years to train them properly (without exploits) and you'll need to arm and armor them if you want them to have any chance of survival in a real fight.

As GWG said, any non-grazer due to the lack of micromanagement required to keep them alive. However, I personally bring sheep on embark so that I have access to wool, milk, meat, leather, bones and other animal based products.

Steel is always worth the cost. It's the second best military-grade material in the game, and is much safer and easier to obtain than the best.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:49:35 am »

Thanks. and no the soldier thing isn't the problem, i can just give them wooden swords, its just so they don't idle to much and actully make there life worth it... i remeber last time i played. one time i had the peasents mass murder a kobold who tried to steal from me.

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:38:55 am »

wooden weapons may not be the best idea. extremly weak if not even less effective then unarmed. On top of that you risk them becoming atached to the wooden weapon.

For animals:
If you get your hands on a breeding pair: CAVE CROCS.
They are prety much everything you want with just 2 downsides (time to mature and non-domestic). they are egg-layer, so you could use them for an egg-industry (value-multiplier: 4), they breed like hell (but not uncontroled. Egg-layer, remember?) with 20 to 60 eggs every few seasons, reducing the needed livestock to an matured female and male. Your dorfs may have problems to store all the hatchlings in a cage in time for the next wave to hatch.
Even hatchlings give meat, organs, bones, a skull and scales for the leatherindustry.
If you dont instantly sloutgher them, they will take 3 years to mator while reaching 5 times your dwarfs size and will give Goblins a hard match 1 on 1.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 11:38:53 am »

As GWG said, any non-grazer due to the lack of micromanagement required to keep them alive. However, I personally bring sheep on embark so that I have access to wool, milk, meat, leather, bones and other animal based products.

See also: Pigs!  I personally don't think the lack of wool is a significant loss. 

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 03:05:41 pm »

1.Dose training Soldiers still hard as befor... or easier now with some new mechanic.
Training's the same as it was in .31 and later. Make small squads (four is probably the absolute maximum), give them bedrooms nearby, make sure they have waterskins, keep them permanently on duty (ignore the complaints. They're a minor mood hit), maybe keep a food stockpile near the barracks because they're not going to use the dining room. Force them to work on their defensive skills by not giving them weapons, which is something you can get away with if you bring some soldier skills and start training as soon as possible. If you aren't near a tower or at war with a civ, you have roughly two years on average before your first ambush squad.

2.Is it worth it to turn everyone in the fort to a soldier just to make them do something in stead of idle... and in case of emergancy
It's generally worth giving them a crossbow and a wooden shield. Training is nice if you have a spare soldier with good Teaching skill and good fighting skills, but that limits you to training a few dwarves at a time. If you really don't care what a bunch of dwarves are doing you can let them train amongst themselves, but it'll be slow. Better than idling though, if you really want to avoid that.

3.What animal is best to bread for leather, bones, meat, ect for least amt of grass required
Bring turkeys on embark, and then butcher the lot. Pigs are the largest of the domestic non-grazers, but they're a little costly to embark with. Dogs are much cheaper, though not as cheap as turkeys, and though slower to breed than egglayers they don't need any management. If you really want a wool source for emergency mood supplies, sheep are the least hungry of the shearable animals.

4.Is steel worth it if you know you will get the flux stone soon
It's worth building up your iron stores for when you get flux, though if your only other materials are silver or copper you might want to use up some iron on helms and edged weapons. Maybe mail shirts too, those cover a lot of important areas. Bronze is a fine substitute for iron (though a little heavier) if you're starting steel production in the near future.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 03:15:40 pm »

Tx for the reply.  man its good to kill some goblins again.