Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about magma  (Read 2078 times)

Eneverforgets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about magma
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:59:40 pm »

Searching here and the wiki didn't quite answer a couple of questions about magma.  I don't really understand what is magma safe and what is not when it comes to walls.  Are natural walls always magma safe, or only when they are made of magma safe materials?  Are constructions magma safe always, or only when they are made from magma safe materials? 

From what I've read, constructed walls and natural walls are basically always magma safe (except maybe natural ice).  Is that true? 

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about magma
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:06:26 pm »

Yes, natural and constructed walls are always magma-safe, except natural ice, which will melt when exposed to magma.  Constructed ice walls are fine however.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:14:45 pm »

Be aware that dwarves wont touch anything that is heated beyond a certain temperature.

Also its generally not that hard to get magma safe materials, most forts get a layer of stone that is magma safe sooner or later. You can often get your hands on either an ore or a metal that is safe if you want to create a floodgate or perhaps a grate as well.

A warning is that handling liquids like magma and water eats a lot of fps.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Eneverforgets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:17:29 am »

Excellent, that's helpful, thanks.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:48 am »

I know iron and nickel are magma-safe: nickel is cheap and you can't make weapons out of it, so it's a better choice (steel works too, but why bother wasting the flux on a steel pump?).

"Hey Urist, is it true that you wasted all our chalk on making steel pipes for the pump stack?"
"Yes..."
"What the flux is wrong with you?!"
*laugh track*
My wooden badge was delicious.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:41:14 am »

I know iron and nickel are magma-safe: nickel is cheap and you can't make weapons out of it, so it's a better choice (steel works too, but why bother wasting the flux on a steel pump?).

"Hey Urist, is it true that you wasted all our chalk on making steel pipes for the pump stack?"
"Yes..."
"What the flux is wrong with you?!"
*laugh track*

Glass should be too, if there're sand around to use!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 12:50:09 pm »

The wiki says glass is magma safe, as long as it is used in a construction. If it is dropped in magma, it melts

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 06:41:59 pm »

The wiki says glass is magma safe, as long as it is used in a construction. If it is dropped in magma, it melts

i've used green glass floodgates with no problem.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 06:44:25 pm »

All my magma handling equipment--floodgates, hatches, screw pump parts, doors--is typically green glass, which makes it very easy to recognize that I'm using the right parts. The only thing I've ever had melt on me was a mechanism, because I was dumb. It made a fantastic flood, though.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 09:31:45 pm »

the best way to figure out what you have lying around that is magma safe is to take a look at your stocks: stone screen then hit up the wiki and check the various types of stone you've got. Over on the right side it'll give you the melting, boiling points of the material, if the temp number is green that means it's magma safe. Also iron, steel, nickel and a couple other metals are all magma safe.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 10:19:20 pm »

the best way to figure out what you have lying around that is magma safe is to take a look at your stocks: stone screen then hit up the wiki and check the various types of stone you've got. Over on the right side it'll give you the melting, boiling points of the material, if the temp number is green that means it's magma safe. Also iron, steel, nickel and a couple other metals are all magma safe.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Magma_safe
Handy list there!

All glasses are magma-safe, so are platnium, though I don't think there're a way to make screw out of latter. Some things made from magma-safe material aren't magma-safe. I think it was crafts, something about oddities in handling inorganics?

I like to use obsidian when I can, then green glass for things that can't be made out of stones. I find it fitting since obsidian is considered volcano glass, and well, you can form glass with magma workshop! Though if I can't dig enough or have obsidian farm, I goes all green glasses.