Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF useful information \ advanced guide  (Read 578 times)

nop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF useful information \ advanced guide
« on: October 27, 2012, 07:31:05 pm »

I write a PDF that contains some useful informations & tactics that I find while playing DF. 
http://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=7079&f=nop_DF_ag.pdf
File contains a lot of pictures & descriptions.

last version: 2012_10_27a: added a description of an easy way to search for demon temples

Any comments are welcome.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:21:54 pm by nop »

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: DF useful information \ advanced guide
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 07:42:50 pm »

Just skimmed through. Nice guide, but a few things:
-Worldgen will affect the number of curses (werebeasts, vampires, necromancers etc.)
-It will also affect the number of megabeasts. They don't reproduce, and most die eventually, so numbers will dwindle in later years
-Because of the previous things, it'll also affect the name of the age (age of myth, legends, man, fairy tales etc.)
-I haven't had a dwarf asking for shell since 40d. Might just be me.
-Cats aren't really required, I've never had vermin problems, and we all have heard of catsplosions...
-Initial skills do matter for the preservation of materials used in training. Other skills are very rare and valuable (namely, medical ones), and it's often a good idea to have a dwarf at least decent at them at all times.
-Domestic animals are good for meat, another food source. Pigs don't need any food at all, and are quite big.
-Smoothing&engraving will also lead to more invaders due to more created wealth. Might want to point that out.
-Low quality adamantine shields are worse than steel ones for sure. The rest is arguable, and there are some weapons that will do less damage to heavily (in the literal sense, with heavier metals) armored dwarves than fully adamantine-clad ones (I can't remember which ones off the top of my head though).
-Clay is a very good (free and infinite) building material, although I agree that crafts aren't really worth it.
-Gold&silver are only a few metals that you can use to increase room value.

You seem to ask the player if they want a challenge, yet tell them to build traps for everything instead of trying to use siege engines or a formal military. I've played both sides, and I can safely say that it's a lot more fun to do the supposedly easy stuff while not using borderline-exploit mechanics (cooking, crossbows, traps etc.) than to find the most difficult things in the game and use exploits to win. It's especially satisfying if you actually do beat a challenge while limiting yourself to the non-broken parts of the game.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:15:41 pm »

Let me fix a few things...

--Right
--USUALLY right, but not always.
--Very right
--Probably right
--Wrong. Cats help some. They're not perfect, they're not required, but a tomcat per food stockpile and maybe a female for kittens (aka bolts, leather, and totems) will help a lot.
--Pigs are great. Poultry are pretty good, what with eggs. Grazers are OK.
--Very true. Might want to mention it for all wealthy stuff.
--Yup. Shields' only material value that matters is weight, and that only matters for bashing. Wood is pretty much as good as steel.
--Clay crafts are worth it with magma. Otherwise, yeah.
--They're also some of the best, and most others have non-decorative value.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:21:35 pm »

Just skimmed through. Nice guide, but a few things:
You seem to ask the player if they want a challenge, yet tell them to build traps for everything instead of trying to use siege engines or a formal military. I've played both sides, and I can safely say that it's a lot more fun to do the supposedly easy stuff while not using borderline-exploit mechanics (cooking, crossbows, traps etc.) than to find the most difficult things in the game and use exploits to win. It's especially satisfying if you actually do beat a challenge while limiting yourself to the non-broken parts of the game.
That's the very first version, dude  ;) I'll keep updating it.