Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population cap  (Read 412 times)

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population cap
« on: October 28, 2012, 11:04:47 am »

Hey, how to change population cap in saved world?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Population cap
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 11:08:38 am »

Popcap is in the init files, and therefore does not vary between worlds.

Translation: nothing special.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 12:13:20 pm »

Popcap is in the init files, and therefore does not vary between worlds.

Translation: nothing special.

Basically he's saying if you have 2 regions on the same data, you can't change between them.
If you did want to, copy your entire DF folder, and paste it somewhere.
Go to one of your data -> save, and delete. now go to data -> init -> d_init  scroll down to population_Cap:xxx and change the xxx to whatever you want!

or if you don't mind changing it for both worlds, go ahead and change it. If you have only one fortress, well, it's in the same place :P

Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 12:23:33 pm »

Why would you delete a save folder for that? If you have 2 worlds genned in one game, you can simply exit and change the popcap in init, restart and load the world you want to play. Deleting is absolutely not nescessary
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »

Why would you delete a save folder for that? If you have 2 worlds genned in one game, you can simply exit and change the popcap in init, restart and load the world you want to play. Deleting is absolutely not nescessary

what i was suggesting, is having 2 dwarf fortresses on your computer.

I have 2, sometimes 3. Means i don't have to play with the inits each time i play around, use different versions of DF like masterwork and change back without even doing anything.

Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.