Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are dwarves supposed to feed grazers manually?  (Read 1660 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are dwarves supposed to feed grazers manually?
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:34:27 am »

I placed a named pet goat on a wall to make it starve to death, but now I noticed my woodcutter near him with a bag of prickle berry seeds. I'm not sure if he was feeding it with seeds, or just picking up the seeds after someone else fed the goat. The goat used to be hungry, but now it's fine  :-\

If that's the case, maybe I can just put them all inside and let the dwarves feed them instead of bothering with pastures. I'm not making moss pastures this time.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are dwarves supposed to feed grazers manually?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:37:13 am »

That only works for pets right now.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:41:50 am »

:o

What's next, nobles not pulling magma levers?

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:12:10 am »

If thats true then its really bad, considering seeds are vital for any fort.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:16:02 am »

I've seen occasional reports of dwarves feeding pet grazers with prepared meals or plants ( Not seeds, I don't think anything eats it but vermins ) since it was first introduced. But I've never confirmed it since I tend to kill grazers asap or let the pets starve to death, and it seems to be VERY unreliable.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:23:41 am »

I'm not sure if it's related, but I noticed a suspicious lack of Rock Nuts after moving all the pets off my lawn.

Only got 4 left.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 09:42:15 am »

I caught a dwarf red-handed. It was a Planter!

Fortunately he wasn't feeding them seeds, just regular plants (bloated tubers in this case).

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 04:05:58 pm »

Man. Now if only he would implement this for strays so we could decide -who- got fed. I'd love to micromanage the hell out of that if it means I could raise viable stocks on stone floors.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:51:15 pm »

Well some of the pets died, so I'm not sure if it's a viable strategy. Still, they don't die very fast, and it's much better than pasturing them outside.

I'm not sure if they died of hunger though, might have been old age.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 08:56:08 pm »

The question is really whether this is because of old code or new code. Toady said that just before the 2D release, pets used to need to eat, but it was taken out because they consumed just too much food. Maybe it got activated when pet grazers started to get hungry again?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:41:09 am »

I caught a dwarf red-handed. It was a Planter!

Fortunately he wasn't feeding them seeds, just regular plants (bloated tubers in this case).
And that planter would be the pet's owner. That's how it's programmed - if a pet is hungry, its owner (and only its owner) will get a task to feed it. Annoyingly, this task is still generated when the pet cannot be pathed to, which results in a shitload of spam about the task being failed because the dwarf can't get to his pet...and I seem to recall the task doesn't go away after the pet dies, either, so you seem to get a permanent stream of job cancellation spam.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.