Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bones, Fey moods and the land curse  (Read 1984 times)

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bones, Fey moods and the land curse
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:30:09 pm »

So I'm currently screwing around in a succession fort, but I hit a problem.

The thing is, some dorf got a fey mood and wanted bones. And we're in a terrifying region.

So he picks up bones from the bone stockpile in the uncursed region, moves to his workshop in the land cursed area and places said bones inside.

Then the bones revive.

It's annoying, and I need to do something about it. I thought of deconstructing all the crafting workshops and placing one in the uncursed region so that none of this bullshit will continue. But is it possible to do so? Will the dwarf stop reclaiming a workshop? Or is the workshop that he claimed un-destroy-able?

If so, how should I go about stopping this?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bones, Fey moods and the land curse
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:33:34 pm »

You, sir, are boned.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:42:27 pm »

Please tell me you put on sunglasses when typing that.
This is a blank sig.

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:52:39 pm »

When you deconstruct the workshop the dwarf will go insane. So as stated above, you are unlucky.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 06:35:20 pm »

You cannot deconstruct a workshop that has been claimed for a strange mood - you will have to wait for the dwarf to go insane.

Exactly what kind of bones did your dwarf claim? It was my understanding that body parts need to have certain properties in order for them to be reanimated, and an ordinary stack of "bones" shouldn't have any of those...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 06:52:37 pm »

Do you know what else he wants?

It may be possible to keep some marksdwarves stationed to keep the bones down, and while that's happening you can move the rest of the materials closer to the workshop to allow the dwarf to grab them in the brief window between animations. At some point the rest of the mood materials will be in the workshop, and by forbidding every body part other than the offending bone stack you can keep the dwarf trying to grab the stack that's right next to the workshop. Then it's a matter of hoping that the bones stay dead long enough for the dwarf to complete the artifact.

But it may not work out anyway -- I've accidently gotten moody dwarves stuck on the construction stage, and I believe it may have been a result of forbidding an organic base material. You can make many artifacts (even soft clothing ones) default to iron by forbidding the base material, but I don't think that works for bone.

You should get a coffin ready and seal off the workshop while the dwarf is outside it. That'll stop them from hanging around on the workshop's cursed ground, which will be become a problem if they go berserk.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 05:28:50 am »

Forbbiding the base material works, as explained in a SCIENCE! thread not long ago. It results in the artifact becoming iron.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=5625

Explanation of the bug:
- Have a moody dwarf who wants, let's say, rough gems.
- Mass-forbid all but the most expensive rough gems available in my fort.
- Wait for the moody dwarf to finish gathering materials and begin construction.
- Mass-un-forbid all those rough gems.
The key step:
- Accidentally mass-forbid rough gems of the type the moody dwarf was using, because I'm pressing down then F repeatedly and don't notice in time when I reach the diamonds.
- Unforbid immediately, before leaving the stocks screen - but it's too late.

If the gem were being used for anything other than a strange mood, the job would simply be canceled. For a mood, the item is no longer marked with "TSK", but the moody dwarf continues without it and it will not be included in the final product.

Lastly, if it was the base material for the artifact, then it will be replaced with "iron" generated out of thin air. I'm not sure if the artifact then gets the value of iron. If so, this could be exploited, say by causing a woodworker to use "iron" which is ten times more valuable than whatever wood they were using.

I suspect, though, that the "iron" is really just an artifact of the process of generating the string, which sees absolutely no base material and still has to describe it somehow; in this case the value contribution from the missing material is probably zero.

In this case, just kill the bones and destroy them. The dwarf has already claimed bones once, son he will be able to comp`lete the artifact,
which will be made of iron.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 11:20:29 am »

Interesting, but it's not as though it's impossible to calculate if the value of iron is REALLY included in the artifact value. With values already recorded in the wiki I don't think it would be hard to calculate the predicted value of the artifact based on the materials used then comparing it with the value of the created artifact.

Of course, there's also the part where the moody dwarf intends to only make a crappy wood amulet made out of only wood. If by making use of this bug we get an iron artifact with no value...well, we'd know if your theory was correct or not.

!!!Science!!!

Anyway, I solved the problem simply by making sure all the materials were ready for his taking. The problem was because I wasn't churning the wool cloth he wanted in time so he would just wait with the stone and bones in the workshop. Then the bones would revive, yadda yadda.

Thankfully even in land cursed regions undead don't revive as fast as necromancers raise their own dead. That would be distastrous.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 02:43:48 pm »

You cannot deconstruct a workshop that has been claimed for a strange mood - you will have to wait for the dwarf to go insane.

Exactly what kind of bones did your dwarf claim? It was my understanding that body parts need to have certain properties in order for them to be reanimated, and an ordinary stack of "bones" shouldn't have any of those...
They have ever since the new undead came out.

Iron being the first inorganic in the raws, is what artifact materials default to.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.