Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any good free roguelikes? (Except Dwarf Fortress)  (Read 3784 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Any good free roguelikes? (Except Dwarf Fortress)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 01:27:49 pm »

The User Interface : ASCII display of a tiled world has become a distinctive feature of roguelikes:In LCS, Yes.
The Game World : random world generation may be the most common feature of roguelike games. They usually provide little plot, and instead focus on creating unique layouts:There isent much plot in LCS if you think about it. All you get is your context and you are off doing whatever.
The Gameplay : turn-based gameplay and dungeon hack are most often proposed:Yes in LCS.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 01:32:40 pm »

LCS has slight roguelike elements. However, it is nothing like Rogue. The goal is entirely different. Nothing about it can be linked to a dungeon crawl. It is a management sim with an ASCII interface and turn-based interaction. If you want to call that a roguelike, you'll need to redefine the category.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 01:43:20 pm »

Currently, my collection of roguelikes that I play sporadically primarily includes Caves of Qud, a post-apocalyptic game. You can play as a true man or a mutant and have flaming claws. I also enjoyed ASCII Sector, where you fly around in a spaceship fighting pirates, trading, and stuff. Its far from traditional, but it brings new concepts to the table.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 02:46:41 pm »

Oh gods, not the what is a roguelike thing again. LCS and Spelunky are close enough to roguelikes it doesn't make a difference anymore. Rogue has jack all to do with RLs these days, honestly, and roguelike no longer means like-Rogue in reference to a gaming genre. Get over it, Rogue botherers. The genre has expanded, and that's all there really is to it. You can dig the Berlin Interpretation if you're looking for something closer to actually representative of the field nowadays. LCS and Spelunky both nestle themselves quite firmly within its bosom.

As for the one not mentioned yet... I'd probably mention Sil. More or less, I'd call it a Tolkien roguelike done right.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 03:33:19 pm »

If you're looking for roguelikes, LCS and Spelunky will not satisfy you. Spelunky is a platformer; LCS is a management sim. They have elements that might please roguelike fans - random/procedural generation and permadeath, and turn-based movement and console display for LCS. Calling them roguelikes invalidates a perfectly good term.

I'm not going to go around calling Skyrim a roguelike because some loot is randomly generated and because when you die you can't come back to life, you have to reload. I mean, look at this. If you think this is a roguelike, there's nothing to argue here because I'm evidently mad.

I'm not saying you shouldn't play LCS or Spelunky. You might enjoy them. I'm saying they're not good free roguelikes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 03:38:57 pm »

Splunky is what could be called a Platformer Roguelike (and since Roguelikes are RPGs, the platformer aspect makes the difference)

While LCS could be called Roguelike-esk in that they capture certain elements of roguelikes without ever becoming one.

So we will leave it at that.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 03:57:52 pm »

As a minority I confess my madness. My previous arguments are invalidated.
Pages: 1 [2]