Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Last night I had the strangest dream I ever dreamed before  (Read 3866 times)

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last night I had the strangest dream I ever dreamed before
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 04:07:13 pm »

Or seal them deep under ground seal below a hard unbreakable rock...  :o
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 04:38:28 pm »

No WONDER they're so pissed off!!

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 05:05:12 pm »

hmm, how would you deal with a human controlled adventurer running around, say he isnt totally ground to overpowerfullubermegalegendary +5 in everything. let's say he is half way there
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 11:52:15 pm »

Any adventurer can be killed by a pressurised-magma-cannon.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 11:53:20 pm »

Try and kill a thrall with magma. I dare you.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 12:29:47 am »

Try and kill a thrall with magma. I dare you.
Yes, It doees not work.

Like everything though, Are still weak to *Steel Serrated Blade* x10
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 12:44:21 am »

If it's a thrall, I'll just atomsmash the bastard. After I've smothered it in magma.

Putting the atomsmasher behind the magma cannon was not my best decision regarding fortress defence.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BeenCarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • American Society for Velociraptor Attack Protection
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 07:04:53 am »

Well if your dwarven soldiers could even be 3/4 as the full powered adventurer that would be a possiblity. But precautions would obviously be taken in order to combat world wreckers. A pure adventurer mode world might work though with pregenerated failed fortress.
It's like fighting goblins with lye, and winning.
Velociraptor season is here.
Are you prepared?
http://www.velociraptors.info/

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 08:45:22 am »

I love the idea of a cadre of adventurers coming to assist someone else's fortress. But what about the time delay?

One Fortress day IRL: ~6 seconds
One Adventure day IRL: ~432 seconds (assuming CONSTANT action)

The time article says it best:
Quote from: The Spirit of Wiki
In fortress mode, there are 1200 time units in a day; in adventurer mode, there are 86400 time units in a day. Thus, a dwarf in adventure mode is capable of moving, fighting, and interacting 72 times as fast as a dwarf in fortress mode assuming the same statistics.
This is if we slow down the Fortress Mode days to last as long as an Adventure Mode day, making Fortress Mode unplayable as it is now. Maybe I'm hung up on a non-issue, but what happens when the player has the game paused but the adventurer is moving? I have a very vague idea of how it would work.
1. "Queue", every player chooses an action and once every player is decided the game progresses a tick. To prevent massive delays, after fifteen seconds the game will progress anyway. Problem: Extremely slow for everyone. Like D&D by post. Or chess by correspondence.
2. Remove Fortress Mode pause. Probably the easiest solution. Day/night would still be wonky but I have no idea how that would work. Problem: Fortress Mode has no time to react to disasters like FB arrivals.
3. While game is paused, adventurers cannot enter the fortress and time goes back to slow-adventure mode (even if it's fast to the adventurers, it's slower to us). When it's unpaused, adventurers suddenly speed up, and as soon as they enter the fortress the game becomes incapable of pausing. This seems shoddy but it would help keep the worlds' time "separate" and it would prevent adventurers from being too powerful by running on 86400-interactions a day mode against 1200-interactions a day mode dwarfs.
4. When adventurer arrives on-site, the dwarves speed up from his point of view, to make his world seem more fluid. Their locations and tasks will be identical to Fortress Mode but he is slowed down to match, making the days go very quickly. Bogeymen will be unspawnable in a fortress to avoid having to find shelter in three seconds. Perhaps adventurer decided to "work with/against the dwarves" and matched their pace?
5. Dwarfs overhauled so that days are long. Each day is like an adventure day, but tasks still take the same IRL time to do, unrealistic as it is. Problem: Everything annual. Caravan frequency would have to be upped, perhaps one a week?! Seasons remain constant. At least adventurers would have no time-delay. If the world is running 24/7, this could make sense, but the fortress would have to exist by itself without an overseer. For balance, if no player-control is present (overseer or adventurers) no attacks will come, or the site will behave like it's in worldgen.

It's a hard issue. I don't know how to fix it, those are just some thoughts.
My wooden badge was delicious.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 09:44:23 am »

or we could have it this way : if adventure mode players enter a fortress mode fort on a  multiplayer game, everyone goes in adventure mode. You may choose if you want to be part of the fortress or of the foreigners (in case you want a big shoot out), by default the overseer would be part of the fortress and could still issue orders to the militia (they would be like companions.

I foresee situations like these :
a goblin ridden pass, desperate defenders then enters a white dressed wizard, riding forth and trampling the filthy green bastards while everyone behind the fortification stops hunting vermins and start crying "gandaaaaaalf gandaaaalf"...

for an example. Or, suddenly you are in adventure mode : you know that someone is trying to sneek into your fortress, too bad for him, you know the ins and out of it, you get ready, take your weapons or simply go pull the FTW lever.

or even : "Hi guys, I'm glad you are here, I cant kill this slade arthropod, wanna lend a hand?"
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 01:31:33 pm »

I played some on the "shared-keyboard" hotseat multiplayer servers; it's ridiculously fun, especially when you get into arguments over who deserves to be in the hotseat more! Girlinhat will never forgive me... :P I don't think any of the server operators are doing anything like that anymore, and we'd have to organize ahead of time for another game like that; which I could do since I'm an officer in the Steam group, but everyone always seemed to get mad when even legitimate announcements got posted >.>. Anyway, I wrote a long-ass post here explaining how I think some of the time-fuckery will inevitably need to be handled; TL:DR; it will not, and it will have to run in full-time, but that's probably for the better anyway.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, I doubt this will ever happen, but if it does, sign me up!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:36:32 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2]