Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tiny Islands  (Read 1673 times)

gourd

• Bay Watcher
  • One True Gourd
    • View Profile
Tiny Islands
« on: September 08, 2012, 08:21:26 am »

Is it possible to generate a world with an island small enough that it fits in a 4*4 space, so that it would be absolutely surrounded by visible ocean? Would this mean nothing could arrive?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny Islands
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 08:24:18 am »

I think island generation has actually been tweaked to prevent this, since it prevents any land creature from leaving your embark tile (which is why you want it, right?). You could try fooling around in custom settings, though.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 01:16:44 pm »

I've tried to do that in perfect world but minimum brush size is one maximum embark size.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:44:45 pm »

This is very possible and with regularity.

I made a guide.

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 06:48:52 pm »

Do you know what parameters make for lots of little islands?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 07:26:19 pm »

Depends how you mean. In a normal looking world I'm not sure how to get small islands but if you follow the link I posted you'll find some parameters that will get you a couple per world. Sadly even when you have a world of islands like in the screenshots most are still larger than the local view.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 07:32:23 pm »

How can you generate your own parameters that make small-island-festooned worlds with, say, high savagery or different shapes or biome distributions or otherwise not exactly like the maps you have?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 08:06:25 pm »

To get high savagery you'd need to use a savagery map. If you pasted this onto the end of the parameters I'm using all the islands should be savage. This could lead to a few savage only creatures on embark but you won't get more spawning on the surface.

Biomes are far trickier as we don't have control over the temperature map. You'll have to make your own rainfall and drainage maps using this as a guide. It's important to leave the right hand column alone in all this / give it reasonable values so that the civs can spawn. I suggest you use PerfectWorld to gen your maps. Export them and copy the bits you want.

As for different shaped islands you'd want to use different seeds. The same goes for biomes to an extent. As I say in the guide: different history seeds with the same world seed will get you identically shaped islands with different stones.

Hopefully I've answered your questions. I can provide some parameters if you have something specific in mind but it'll have to wait until tomorrow now as I've off to bed.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:09:43 pm by Vattic »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 08:20:20 pm »

No, I was just wondering in general how much those parameters were screwed up by modding, changing seeds, or whatever. May your dreams not be tainted by forgotten beasts.
Sig

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »

The same parameters will give different islands with modded raws. I don't even think they will give those exact islands in the current version. I describe how to use the parameters to find your own here. Searching for them is pretty straightforward but dull.

Cheers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 08:44:00 pm »

As long as the general parameters work, I'm peachy.
Sig

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 01:31:32 pm »

It is also possible to just construct embarkable areas in the middle of the ocean using mostly DFLiquids as well:

Disable bottom layer when generating the world, when you use 'Just Embark' to embark on the ocean the units will spawn in rock in the lowest top left corner tile and not die. Construct the landmass as needed using DFLiquids, modify tiletypes as needed with DFHack tiletypes command. Abandon and re-embark again with 'Just Embark.' For the volcano I made, the under-ocean magma had to be placed after embarking the second time as the ocean tiles overwrite it upon embarking.

Example island challange; I've made it to autumn...