Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Advice on games using too much memory  (Read 15206 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on games using too much memory
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 02:57:06 pm »

Any idea on why a game would only use 1 GB of memory before crashing when there are 3 GB of memory left?

I have a dual core.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 03:01:12 pm »

Without knowing what the crashes are, no.

Edit: Well, if it was trying to put more stuff into swap space, and ran out of swap space, that might do it. But windows would probably complain?

Edit #2: Do you have a Windows Memory Diagnostic in Administrative Tools? If you don't want to mess with memtest, you could use that if you have it. (I do, but I don't know whether it might be a new thing with windows 8.)

I have 4 GB of RAM and haven't ever had CKII run out of memory.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:05:06 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 03:16:03 pm »

Micro, run a memtest

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 10:03:07 am »

No memory faults detected.  :(

Do you think bleeping computers would be a decent place to go for this?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 09:01:05 am »

Bumping for desperation. If this doesn't continue, going to bleepingcomputer.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 09:14:58 am »

Generally I find if I'm having problems with games on windows it is because my antivirus is getting too touchy. Certain games I have to turn it off or I get performance issues and sometimes crashes, the more memory a game uses the more likely this is to happen.

Also might be worth checking you haven't disabled swap space accidentally (although I can't remember where this is on the current windows incarnations)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 09:32:15 am »

What sort of error do you get?
Or is it just a black screen back to desktop thingy. Because maybe this isn't related to getting 1 Gb of ram, but is it another cause and is the Ram thing just a coincidence. I know overheating causes unexplained crashes, for example.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:39 am »

Overheating would mean a complete system shutdown.

If you're really desperate, I'd recommend backing everything up and re-installing the operating system.  Obviously it's not ideal, but if you're having the same issues after, it's likely a hardware issue.  I would venture to say that it's a software issue but that's only based on what I've read.

Definitely make sure all of your drivers are updated before taking the next step.  Do what Tellemurius suggested and uninstall then reinstall Direct X and your graphics drivers.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 11:06:26 am »

Generally speaking, any given program will have memory leaks.  Bigger leaks means it slows down more the longer you use it.  Smaller leaks mean it'll run for longer before you notice it slowing down.  Closing and restarting the program is the only real way to deal with leaks, unless you want to crack open the source code and fix the bugs.

This is a regular part of gaming, particularly older games it seems.  Restarting every hour or so won't hurt.

Any well designed program shouldn't have memory leaks. And the operating system should clean up after them once they exit.

When I start up the game, it used to use ~250000 KB, now it uses ~400000, and after loading the save, uses an extra 500000+

It's kinda supposed to do that. They'd go after empty memory if possible. Though normally the OS would clean up after itself so it doesn't have to shove out old memory. Or maybe not. Again, hard to tell.

It might be that you actually have too much memory, and it's crashing 32 bit stuff.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 12:39:04 pm »

The games just freeze. In Tropico 4 I have reached the point where placing one building crashes the game. Crusader kings 2 delays until crash got shorter and shorter.

The game seems to be using massive amounts of memory to save things. I can only imagine how much memory I would need to finish a game. 5GB?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »

This is a stupid question, but you have tried restarting your computer, right?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 02:21:03 pm »

The games just freeze. In Tropico 4 I have reached the point where placing one building crashes the game. Crusader kings 2 delays until crash got shorter and shorter.

The game seems to be using massive amounts of memory to save things. I can only imagine how much memory I would need to finish a game. 5GB?
Reinstall the games and install all updates you can for Windows, Windows isn't much of a problem because a memory leak from there would be from the system components not the software processes themselves.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 02:23:50 pm »

This is a stupid question, but you have tried restarting your computer, right?

Yes, in fact the crashes were so bad that sometimes I was forced to restart and retry multiple times. I was fully updated at the time.

It is not a heating problem, I have already thought that might be it, but it wasn't.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 03:13:04 pm »

If you need to free up some resources, Vista Services Optimizer is always a good program to use. Works with both Vista and 7 just fine, and the Gaming Mode shuts off unneeded processes and such to maximize your playability. It's actually quite nice for those more intense games. Good for that little extra boost to performance you need.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 02:39:29 am »

Well given the rate that these games consume memory I am going to need a lot more. I'm hoping I just need more RAM, and the extra GBs of space I THINK I have are actually being taken up by something.
Pages: 1 [2]