Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Jungle Gyms  (Read 3441 times)

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Jungle Gyms
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 04:51:35 am »

IRL, a stubby dwarf soldier wearing 32 articles of clothing and full steel plate carrying a steel weapon and shield would have basically no chance ever of climbing up a rough cavern wall or up a tree.

Maybe they could climb a ladder but definitely not a rope, let alone a cliff face or something.
Ladder would fall and crush them, too fat.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Snowblind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 04:54:39 am »

IRL, a stubby dwarf soldier wearing 32 articles of clothing and full steel plate carrying a steel weapon and shield would have basically no chance ever of climbing up a rough cavern wall or up a tree.

Maybe they could climb a ladder but definitely not a rope, let alone a cliff face or something.

I've seen really fat guys carrying heavy stuff climb up ladders... very slowly, but it's impossible. Admittedly, very sturdy ladders.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 05:15:02 am »

I've seen really fat guys carrying heavy stuff climb up ladders... very slowly, but it's impossible. Admittedly, very sturdy ladders.
Don't you mean possible? Also, that has to be candy ladders using dwarven superglue or something xD

Snowblind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 05:26:12 am »

Don't you mean possible? Also, that has to be candy ladders using dwarven superglue or something xD

Yes, possible, I think my spell checker is retroactively correcting shit I typed to undermine me. A normal steel ladder welded to something extremely sturdy would do the trick, as I've observed IRL.

Dwarves live in fortresses and shit is made from stone and metal and their fortresses span vertically. Surely they'd have sturdy ladders for their fat, heavily armored soldiers to climb and that would be well within the scope of their core competencies.

Climbing anything else, I find highly unlikely for dwarves to do. Leave tree climbing and wall-scaling for thief-type invader characters and animals or monsters.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 10:39:17 am »

Yes, possible, I think my spell checker is retroactively correcting shit I typed to undermine me. A normal steel ladder welded to something extremely sturdy would do the trick, as I've observed IRL.

Dwarves live in fortresses and shit is made from stone and metal and their fortresses span vertically. Surely they'd have sturdy ladders for their fat, heavily armored soldiers to climb and that would be well within the scope of their core competencies.

Climbing anything else, I find highly unlikely for dwarves to do. Leave tree climbing and wall-scaling for thief-type invader characters and animals or monsters.
Or elves, the treehugging hippies will love climbing in trees. Also you sorta hug trees when climbing them.

CorruptUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 09:17:08 pm »

Heh, combine the jungle gym made out of bones with a necromancer for an extra-challenging gym!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 12:53:55 pm »

Maybe it's just me but jungle gyms sound even more ridiculous than muscle gain from pulling levers. On the other hand, it is questionable how believable pump gyms are.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 03:45:35 pm »

Do jungle gyms exist IRL? Yes. Can people practice their gymnastics and agility on them? I believe so.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 04:09:25 pm »

Were they (potentially) available in the 1400's?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 07:14:00 pm »

They were part of the Olympics before 400 AD.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 08:00:46 pm »

Then for all intents and purposes, we should be getting them shortly after the multi-z-level implementations, right?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]