Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Seismologist condamned in Italy  (Read 4679 times)

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
Re: Seismologist condamned in Italy
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 11:25:35 am »

Those i know aren't, sure interviewers have more means than me, but i guess we can't have a reliable statistic sample.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 11:27:33 am »

From what I understand, weren't the scientists basically told to make the announcement by the local government? And the public official in charge of the situation and who insisted the scientists tell the public everything would be alright is getting off without so much as a glance?

I may be completely wrong on those bits, though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 11:42:58 am »

I thought that the official was being charged along with the scientists. Could be mistaken, though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 11:58:43 am »

From what I understand, weren't the scientists basically told to make the announcement by the local government? And the public official in charge of the situation and who insisted the scientists tell the public everything would be alright is getting off without so much as a glance?

I may be completely wrong on those bits, though.

You are correct. I think you mean the back-then head of the civil protection Bertolaso, still under investigation for embezzlement and fraud involving lucrative government post-quake rebuilding contracts. There could be a trial for him.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 12:05:48 pm »

Ah. Hadn't heard about that. All I knew was that he wasn't included with the trail as-was - didn't know they were considering separate proceedings.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 12:30:13 pm »

I thought that the official was being charged along with the scientists. Could be mistaken, though.
The charged official is De Bernardinis, the back-then vice head of the civil protection department.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 12:35:01 pm »

Another English language piece on this, with lots of details and some blame laying.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 02:01:29 pm »

Ah, my weekly reaffirmation of why Italy is quite literally the absolute worst place in Europe.

Sorry, that's still Hungary.

Ah, my weekly reaffirmation of why Italy is quite literally the absolute worst place in Europe.
What about Belarus?

Free teddy bears.
Love, scriver~

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 05:07:31 pm »

Has this made anybody in Italy (or anywhere, really) appreciate how much we depend upon the opinions and expertise of people like seismologists, who are highly educated and doing us all a big favor by watching out for us?  When most of us don't care until it happens to us?

Also, I wonder when we'll see prominent astronomers being sued next time a meterorite falls from the sky and kills somebody with a team of high-powered attorneys.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 09:12:30 pm »

Listening to some slightly aged radio news I'd recorded a few weeks ago (erm, yeah, I know... but I did), it reminded me that earlier this month we got the scientists being prosecuted for unfulfilled pessimism rather than (some might say of those involved in Italy) incorrect optimism...

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/914114-devon-attraction-owner-to-sue-met-office-for-forecasting-too-much-rain

(Mind you, the guy's got form insofar as publicity out of adversity... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1814459.stm)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 12:30:58 pm »

This is surprising. I was under the impression that Italy had stopped being fascist three quarters of a century ago.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 12:54:59 pm »

That was uncalled for. While I'm certainly glad my country isn't fascist anymore, corruption can be found anywhere, regardless of form of government and ideology.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 01:37:28 pm »

Ah, good ol' witch burning. The best way to calm an angry mob. Humanity, don't ever change.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 04:00:42 pm »

Well, the fact is that now, in Italy, the only sensible thing for any scientist is to announce the worst possible results for anything. Disease, floods, health risks... They basically killed all sciences having to do with risks.

Have you watched any tv news programme lately? Its all about huge risks.  :P
Magma is overrated.
Pages: 1 2 [3]