Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dominions 3 Opinion's...and more please  (Read 2201 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3 Opinion's...and more please
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 07:36:29 pm »

This game would be 10 times better if it had a decent UI. How hard is it to implement Rally points, repeat queues, queuing movement orders, auto search for magic sites, and some other stuff.

There is actually a special key combination that lets you lock in a repeat action for commanders...  Very useful when summoning.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what the bloody thing is, and there is of course no in-game documentation (and alt-tabbing out of the game destroys the UI).

What's funny is that I actually preferred a lot of the UI in the first Dominions over the ones in the later titles...  Although searching provinces with magic has become MUCH easier now that the province actually records what's searched it.

But yes, the micromanagement does get to be a hell, especially since you need to pay attention to every little doofus hidden away here or there, and it's quite easy to miss that one scout in a random province or that one mage in the castle that isn't doing something.  But since this is a turn-based game, things aren't exactly happening at a breakneck pace.  You'll generally have the time to go over most of your holdings.

Its a good and fun game, but it needs more gameplay depth. Most of the times superior numbers will win the fights for you, unless you use super tier units combined with neat god powers and blessings.

I suppose that's true later on in the game, I wouldn't really be a good voice on the subject...  But it seems to me that the tactics and positioning of units are far more important than sheer numbers.  A couple splits in a group, a few paces forward or back on the battlefield, and a change in orders can make the difference between losing half your men or having one man lose an arm.

And finding new ways of using the same units is always great fun too.  For instance, I just got it in my head to see how EA Agartha does with a nature bless.  Almost all my time spent playing is for the sake of experimenting with the units, powers, and spells of the different nations.  It's research and experimentation with a bit of blood and fire thrown in.  What could be better?

I really like Dominions because it is different, and because it's got style.  Yes, once you get past that the game does kind of falter a bit as far as gameplay depth goes, but I still like looking at the thing.  It's also pretty much the only game I know of where I can send thousands of units into battle and just have them take care of themselves, rather than demanding that I baby them every step of the way.

(Note about the above comment:  Just because the units are supposed to {and to an extent, do} take care of themselves does not mean that magic users are complete dorks when left to their own devices)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 09:37:33 pm »

While its true that positioning and grouping your units and giving them orders can play a big part on the outcome, holy units + a good blessin strategy will overpower almost anything, including clever unit use. I remember using a damage resistance + regeneration bless strategy with that race of jewish giants of sorts, and just kept producing their neat top tier unit, which is a priest and is holy (so it can bless itself). Basicaly a single of those + good bless will cause it to plow through enemy lies and rape everything short of equally powerful units with a good bless. While it was fun seeing a single unit taking out armies of 50, regardless of strategy, but it gets old and makes the game boring.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 01:16:04 am »

Gath is the nation of Jewish maneating giants, Agartha is the nation of giant one-eyed olmmen.

...yeah, that's an example of one of the reasons I like this.  Good luck finding stuff like that in a standard title.

I normally take a combination supercombatant/earth bless strategy with Agartha, with an added dominion kill because they can handle some really nasty scales.  The nature bless is working out fairly well, but Agarthans don't really have the beef to get really nice regeneration.  Even with max regen, my frontliners are sucking up 9 HP a turn.  It helps, it helps a ton, but it's not as effective as it could be.

But it's gotten me thinking about another possibility I hadn't considered before...  A rather odd one at that.  I'll give it a whirl at some other point.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3 on sale
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 06:19:57 pm »

http://www.gamersfront.com/store/dominions-3-the-awakening.html

Dominions 3: The Awakening

Sale: US$29.95
 Price: US$54.95
 You Save: US$25.00 (45%)

Sorry for the necro, possible duplication
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »

Dude. If there's one sign that the apocalypse is nigh, Dominions 3 going on sale must be it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 06:48:03 pm »

It's happened before! A couple times. I think.

Winter sales? Something or other. It's not as surprising as you'd think!

Just uncommon. And still not sufficiently low I can justify the cost. Unfortunately. Dom 3 is great, heh. Pain in the ass to actually play, but great nonetheless.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 06:50:46 pm »

I've been getting the Shrapnel newsletters for a while now; it's rarely dipped below $50, even during their seasonal sales. I believe the reason for this discount is that they're no longer selling physical copies of the game (I assume they ran out of stockpiled manuals).
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 [2]