Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Biome???  (Read 3509 times)

Mo3636

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best Biome???
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:40:39 pm »

In regard to animal, temp, Plants, and other things what do you guys think is the best biome?

cam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Biome???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 01:52:43 pm »

Low savagery, Nuetral or Good biomes are generally the best. If you embark on an island you are immune to sieges, but you also only get two migrant waves. Aquifers are a large obstacle if you don't know what you're doing. You also want a mixture of soil, shallow metals, deep metals, and flux stones. A river is also good because it provides fresh water. (wounded dwarves don't drink alcohol)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:13:15 pm »

In general, no one biome is "worse" than any other, but some are harder to survive in: glaciers and tundras, or other locations frozen most of the year, for example, can be very difficult to survive in for lack of water. That means hospitalized dwarves are doomed. Doomily doomed. Unless there is water in the caverns. Deserts can also be difficult to survive in for this same reason, although sand deserts provide, of course, sand for a green glass industry, which is always nice!

Forests, woodlands, or shrublands are often easy to survive in and good places to set up because of the density of the trees. A temperate forest with a river, no aquifer, and lots of underground features is usually a very nice place to live. Swamps and marshes are also equally survivable, but crocodiles and aquifers can be a serious problem. Hills, so far as I know, can represent many different biomes, and are called hills mainly because of high drainage, leading to the possibility of hilly terrain. Grasslands and savanna are often survivable, but can be boring and don't offer much in the way of lumber.

Try to aim for a non-evil, calm, mixed biome embark with a river.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:16:10 pm »

The best biome?
Of course Terrifying Glacier without any minerals or soil!

The next one is any Good terrain which isn't a desert or glacier.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:16:40 pm »

Clay, sand, metals, partial aquifer or a small river*. 

Deserts are sort of interesting and savage ones have the Giant Desert Scorpions.  Just have to keep an eye on wood supply, but you also don't have issues with lots of trees mucking with your sight lines for your defenses.**

* - A small river bisecting the embark actually simplifies things.  Invaders and migrants, etc. don't generate on the "wrong" side until you put a path there.

** - I find myself eventually paving large swathes of the surface to help my marksdwarves having clear fields of fire.  And liking the appearance of paved areas within the walls.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 02:19:40 pm »

I like swamps.  Wetlands are interesting and rich.  Of course they may not be the most difficult.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 02:31:10 pm »

My personal "bests" are Terrifying Glaciers/Tundras/Taigas bordering other biomes, such as an ocean or desert, also preferably evil or at least savage.  I love me some evil cold embarks.  I also like building a massive fortress out of ice.

"Best" as in, best for your fortress are probably those which have access to sand and flux, and are low savagery for survivability.  Also forests for trees.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 02:59:01 pm »

I love an embark that's spread between at least two biomes and contains a brook, in a neutral area with high savagery.  I best love the boundary between a low mountain, a decidious forest, and a grassland, with that brook somewhere near the middle of the embark area and everything as flat as possible (that's usually not very flat at all  ;D).  Any climate's fine.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 03:23:19 pm »

tropical is good for wildlife

but forget high savagery unless you want endless hordes of thrips men giving your dwarves job cancellations